Alternator???

Guest cutlass88er

Guest cutlass88er

Ok so I was getting on the expressway, and all of a sudden my radio goes phsyco and starts popping with the speed of my engine. I give my car a lot of gas and the radio comes up a little. I get on the express way and the car start to surge and hesitate. I look at my dash and my odometer isn't working, but I barely see my gas guage and my speedo, and m yradio clock is very faint. I was able to make it to a Pick'n Save and I shut off my car and tried to sart it back up and it would'nt even turn over. I was like the battery died. I got a jump and and my car was just fine. I was able to make it to work and when I shut off my car I went to restart it and it didn't turn over. The battery died. I didn't get a charge light or anything. The only light that I had on was the Temp. light which is only on becuase the sensor I got from checkers is faulty. Any help is very appreciated, I jsut hope it's not a huge prob. if anyone knows what it could be please let me know. Now I just hope I can get a jump from somebody to get home.

Thanks Dennis

88 Olds CS SL

I would say its Probly the ALT, because thats what mine did when it went out.

it was only Running off the batt then when that died nothing.

there is enough ALT to RUn the car even if you dont have a Batt. so I would say its the ALT,

they are about $40 at a JY rebuilt

or you can go to ebay and do what I did

$75 for a 130amp

or you could do what my Friend did

New 105 amp life time warrenty for $165

and thats just the price of the alt install extra

and if its a 2.8 or 3.1 it takes about 12 MINs to change it.

then Jump it after it was changed and let it sit and Run and charge.

then after about 20 mins with nothing running but the car see if it held by turning off the car and Restarting.

My alternator not working properly for a while made the battery deep cycle a few times and killed two cells in it. Had to replace both the Alternator and Battery at the same time!! Make sure you get your battery load tested to make sure it is still good, because a new alternator on a trashed battery won't last! 8)

Guest cutlass88er

I have since decided it's the alternator, but I'm going to have both batt. and alt. tested. I'm going to price everything out and if it's not too much more I'll go with a new AC/Delco, this alt is only 2 years old as is the battery. Thanks a lot

Dennis H

88 Olds CS SL 8)