I need help w/ blacked Tails.

AWeb80

I followed JNGTP94's instructions.....

Ok, we ill start off with take teh tails off

Then go ahead and clean them off with some rubbing alcohol. if they feel like they have alot of contamination on them then wetsand them with 2000 - 3000 grit, either would be fine. If they feel ok then just the rubbing alcohol will do.

I perfer to hang things that i am painting but that is just my habit, thats up to you. put the tails right next to each other so that you get a nice even look between the two.

Apply the first coat very lightly, you can wetsand between coats if youd like but it is not needed and i have done it both ways and the results were the same. My tails are only 3 coats but if i did it again i will do 5 coats. 7 is too dark... allow 15 minutes after the initial coat before doing another, and then 10 - 12 minutes between coats after that. after the final coat allow them to cure for at least 3 hours.

After the 3 hours is up wetsand them with 2000 grit sandpaper lightly 3000 if at all possible.

next clear them with 2 - 3 even coats, 15 minute wait period between coats and allow at least 1 - 2 hours for the clear to cure.

Then go ahead and wetsand them if they are not very smooth with 3000grit. if they are relativaly smooth. Use a 3M rubbing compound ( small bottle sold at walmart for like 5 - 7$) this is a light abraisive and will polish them up to a very nice shine. if you have a buffer use it and they will turn out even better.

Afterwards i waxed mine before putting them on the car, but it is not required

but i never sanded them betweent the vht and clear because the vht was nice and smooth and not too dulll

.....well, i did 4 coats of vht...and everything was fine. I let them sit over night and cleared them this afternoon. well after 2 coats of clear, everything was kosher and i figured i'll do one more for good measure.

I allowed at least 15 minutes drying time between coats of clear.

well, after the third coat was done, the clear is now all slpotchy.....its hard to describe w/o pics, but some of it looks fine and other parts have a white dusty look to them....almost like on stock lenses when moisture gets inside and it is kinda cloudy .....well this is what they look like...

how do i get rid of the cloudy? should i wetsand w/ 2500 and see if it goes away.....i'm kinda pissed.

this is the same clear i used on my x-laces.

I'm still a novice at this stuff, but I would wetsand and then repaint. The same problem happened with the clear on my license plate. I wetsanded and it seemed to take care of the problem.

Nights shades will come off over time. I have had it on my car for 3 years and it is almost all gone. the best way to do it is to have a paint shop clear over the night shades. make sure to put a good 3-4 coates on there. buffing is ok but will not last.

I did clear it, but now it is cloudy in splotches....it did it on my 3rd and final coat of clear.....

i'll wet sand it tonight and maybe try some rubbing compoud and see if it helps.

UPDATE!!!!11111

well, I stopped by O'rly's and asked a friend that works there what to do....he handed me the Meguires Pastix or whatever......

I tried it right there and perfect.....they are soo smooth and clear...i'm excited.....L33T!!!

I had nightshades/clear on my ride for 2 years and never had any problem with fading or anything else for that matter....but now I know a buddy who works in a body shop that can tint them professionally and if I get a set done again I would think about having him do them to save me the headache of doing the job correctly