1990 TGP Brake problems....

RedZMonte

my brake lights stick on untill i lift the pedal. I assume there is a switch or something that has gone bad. Also my ABS light was flashing last night but is not on today...

Any feedback on what could be the problem would be great.

Thanks,

Shane

I don't know where the switch is but I DO get a grin out of my Powermaster III. The light comes on and off most of the winter when I need it. Then come Spring...Never a light!!!!! Until Winter.

I'll look in my book for a switch.

My ABS light doesn't flash, it just steadly glows, and it usually comes on after I start driving.. so if you find out what's causing your problem with it, let me know, it's probably the same thing.

My ABS light doesn't flash, it just steadly glows, and it usually comes on after I start driving.. so if you find out what's causing your problem with it, let me know, it's probably the same thing.

I am going to have my buddy look at it. I am going to have my buddy look at it. mine just flashed.. then i started it in the morning.. no light at all.

Just got the reply on a possible recal.. NO SUCH LUCK! daymn. nothing better then a free fix. :( I guess its time to swap a brake switch.

Shane

Calling as we speak...

Yeah, I heard it was. If that's the case, the brake switch is located on the brake pedal (of course) and connected to the pin on which the pedal rotates on. It's a big pain to pull out and you'll need to fiddle with it (been there, done that); but be calm... it comes out and the new one you'll need to "calibrate" it so the lights will come on when the pedal is pushed.

EDIT: or maybe not... nevermind :oops:

- RedFox340

Check that brake light switch to see if the thread is stripped.

On my 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, the thread on the brake light switch got stripped because they use a plastic thread and I have to replace mine and the metal clip that holds the brake light switch is bent and broken and has to replace that too.

Guest Anonymous
Check that brake light switch to see if the thread is stripped.

On my 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, the thread on the brake light switch got stripped because they use a plastic thread and I have to replace mine and the metal clip that holds the brake light switch is bent and broken and has to replace that too.

I think you're talking about the cruise switch.

This is the stoplight switch.

SLS167.jpg

You're right :oops:

That plastic switch with thread I'm talking about was the cruise control switch.

With regards to that brake switch, I rigged it.

See that oval shape in the lower left from redturbo90 attached picture? That is where the brake pedal/booster rod intersects so that the brake switch moves accordingly when the pedal is depressed or released.

What I did on mine was, I did not connect the rod into that oval shape hole but instead I put the rod outside the oval shape hole and wrapped something around them so they won't move at all and it worked for me.

It's been a while since I fix mine. That cruise control switch was messed up when my brake light switch was acting up.

I'll get a picture if I have a chance so you'll see how I rigged it :)

If your ABS light is on you might wanna get it scanned for codes...My light keeps coming on and I guess it has to do with our rear ABS harness...the wires are so thin that they cant even be soldered. Just a suggestion I guess.

Guest TurboSedan

i broke my stoplight switch (pictured above) when i did my 5-speed conversion. after i reinstalled the pedal and got the car back on the road, the brake lights would stay on until i lifted the pedal. i was so fricking tired of working on the car by then that i just took it to the dealership. that switch is a PITA to install IMO....i didn't want to risk buying the part and reinstalling it myself and break it again.

joshua

check it! if your abs light stays on and the yellow light stays on and the rear lights stay on all the time or some time its the stop lamp switch up under the dash. That thing is plastic and the pointer over time slips and messes up the grooves causing the rear lights to stay on. Its a mf to get to so you need some real patience. Make sure you calibrate the correct postion of the silver pointer needle. It IS NOT SET RIGHT ON SOME OF THEM.

On a TGP i drove last night...the ABS light was on and when I stepped on the brake the BRAKE light lit up...like the parking brake warning...is that a major thing? How bout the gas light being on even when it doesnt need gas?

On a TGP i drove last night...the ABS light was on and when I stepped on the brake the BRAKE light lit up...like the parking brake warning...is that a major thing? How bout the gas light being on even when it doesnt need gas?

Yeah, that's a big deal.

* the ABS module could be dead / not working properly; don't you try to lock up the brakes? That's a good indicator if the ABS is working or not

* the brake fluid could be low indicating poor maintenance records

* since the fluid is low the sensor in the master cylinder is turning on that light on the instrument panel

* could be a doosie of brake repair bills coming your way if you buy the TGP, look into more

- RedFox340

He said he just put all new brake equipment on...rotors, shoes, pads...the works...btw my 94 GP has the ABS light on sometimes...it has somethin to do with my left rear harness

There is a good chance it just needs an accumulator. If the accumulator is really dead, pressing the brakes once will use all of the pressure reserve and turn the light on till it pumps back up. If the pump doesn't run very long from a discharged key on engine off position it probably needs an accumulator.

BTW '94 abs has nothing to do with 90 abs, different system.

• 3 weeks later...

In Feb 03, I bought a TGP that was listed on craigslist.org for $1500.00 This car was gorgeous and only had 88,000 miles. Everything was perfect on this car, very clean. The only problem was that the brake lights were not working. We realized that the fuse was pulled out after a few days of investigating. When we plugged the fuse in, the brake light were constantly on. Doing some more research we pulled up all the recalls for this car online, the brake switch being one of them. That week we took the car to the dealership to fix this recall. We didn't pay anything, but a month later the brake lights were back on. I took the car back a 2nd time, this time being charged 100.00 to fix the problem. Again another month later the brake lights were on. Back to the dealership I went in a rage this time. They fixed it again, but this time refunded my money after fighting with them. Ok, so this was last month.. What do you know... last week the brake light were on AGAIN. I finally got fed up and did some reseach. I found a website that gave very clear details on how to adjust the brake switch. I went out to my car with a wire hook that I made and a flashlight and fixed my brake lights myself. My ABS light was also constanly on, but we changed the front brake pads yesterday and the light has turned off.. Other than the brake switch, I have not had a single problem with this car. I'm in LOVE!!! Just got tires today, next misson.. Window Tint..