Wiring HUD into factory harness; problem?

Schudini

I am connecting a HUD from a 92 GP Sedan into my 92 GP Coupe. I found the correct factory harness plugs (for the HUD and dimmer) in the dashboard. Tested the wires for the proper voltages and everything is good. I also bench tested the HUD and dimmer (hooking up the 12V and ground leads) and everything works. When I plug the HUD and dimmer into the car, it doesn't turn on.

(Step 1, performed a through search :) ) I checked all the fuses, and tested the wires with the key on. The pink/black to the dimmer switch is getting 12V, but from what I can tell, the brown with white stripe (to the HUD) is only getting ~2V (a few times the reading jumped to 11V, which is what it should be). The white wire to the HUD (the dimmer signal) is 12V at "Maximum brightness" setting on the dimmer switch (and less voltage with the dimmer switch moved to a dim position).

I'm sure that the switch is the problem, but I want to know if I have to reset the ECU or make any changes to get the car to "recognize" the HUD.

What I will probably do is run a jumper wire from the pink/black wire to the brown/white wire and install a switch in between so I can turn off the HUD when I want. Is there any problems with this? (don't want to ruin any electronics)

mine had the same problem, got a good switch and everything worked like a charm. also, i dunno about the gp huds, but i know the cutlass ones already have an 'off' setting.

most likely the switch has a bad solder joint. I haven't yet, but will be rebuilding psychomatts old switch as soon as i figure out wher my soldering iron gun is or give up and but a new one.

Can you take a pic of what the hud wiring looks like?

Sure.

Also, are you still looking for an extra HUD pigtail? The HUD I bought came with one and I don't need it if the stock one works.

most likely the switch has a bad solder joint. I haven't yet, but will be rebuilding psychomatts old switch as soon as i figure out wher my soldering iron gun is or give up and but a new one.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to disassemble and check it out.