1990 Supreme 3.1/auto-Only starts/runs w/foot on pedal-no codes

tdk90nitro

I had driven the car yesterday was running great as usual and wasnt hard on it. Park it till this morning, try to crank and it sputtered for a split second and continue to crank without starting. I back off the key, try it again with the foot on the gas pedal, it'll run, smells rich while my foot was moving the rpms up and down, then I let off stalls. Starting it again and same thing happens.

I jump the computer for codes, nothing but 12.. Pulled the negative cable off to reset anything. Same problems, and still no code after a few cranks.

I did the IAC about 4,000 miles ago, fuel filter at about 5,000 (change it every 2 oil changes). I do not have a ohm meter. ugh.

Even when I run it with the pedal down a little bit (had a friend do it while i listened/looked/smell the exhaust, no mis-fire, just a little rich.

The car has about 74,400 or so miles on it. Not a bit of problems before hand. With no codes, I really do not know where to start.

sounds like the IAC, it's the reason that the car idles without opening the TB. perhaps the passage is clogged if the motor is working properly.

I'm having to wait till tomorrow. A friend says he has a multimeter. Going to try that first. :willynilly: I'm hoping it is just that. I know from the past that leaving the IAC unplugged(when I changed it last), that it acts the same way.

If there is anything else, let me know. I was thinking maybe a clogged fuel filter, don't think it would cause those symptoms Maybe the timing chain jumped a tooth when I shut it off....doubt it.

Thanks so far.

IAC or maybe a TPS.

X2, however when my TPS went it I got a code 21 or something. Definetly try cleaning the IAC and Throttle Body(It Never Hurts). If everything checks out then move on to the Fuel System. Those 3.1 Fuel Injectors flat out suck.

Mitch

well, removed power from the car, unplugged then plugged the iac, things like that. EGR seems iffy but hooked power back up, no codes, cranked and started the car. and it stays running, and perfectly fine. So i took it on a 100mile round trip/errand. again, no codes, and runs better than ever. ugh. So, I am going to look for a known functioning egr for it if i can without buying brand new. (even if the car is fine at the moment) Will also keep looking around at the wiring for frays and/or cracks.

Got my UB3 gauge adapter, and just hooked those up. I'll never go back to my base one.....except for the miles shown. 140k+ as compared to my original 74.4k

Thanks for the suggestions for my problem. :biggrin: