Jeorge

1: what is the easyest way to clean the Intercooler with out removing it and what shall I use to clean it?

2: how many people accutally have the Headlight Problem of only the Fogs, and or High beams working.

3: My Rear Brake distruabution {spelling} leaks Just found out today while looking under my car. I dont want to tighten it up to much other wise it will strip...would teflon tape work?? or creat a gasket <rtv blue>

4: how many Qts of Tranny fluid do I need after a filter change.

thats my few Questions for now....

1. when i cleaned my intercooler i took it out of the car, its really not that bad of a job--but anyways, i just used dawn dish soap. if you dont have any of that im pretty sure any degreaser would work. im not sure how well cleaning in the car will help b/c the cleaner sorta has to soak in there to break up all the junk. but if you still want to keep it in the car maybe mix some soapy water solution in a spray bottle and spray it in the top until you can see it collecting in the bottom. then run clean water into the top to rinse it out. once the stuff running out is clean u should be good--but im not sure how ull get all the water out of there, maybe an air compressor or a shop vac??

4.the tranny will take approx. 5 quarts of fluid after a filter change

I used Berryman's Chem Dip to clean my intercoolers. It works awesome! They look brand new inside afterwards, nothing but bright shiny aluminum.

I bought a big metal can of the stuff at Checker Auto. I poured 1/2 the can inside the intercooler, and capped the ends off with plastic grocery sacks and rubber bands. Then I swished and shook the intercooler around for a few minutes. The Chem dip was bright yellow, but when I poured the intercooler out, it was dark green! I repeated this process until the Chem Dip didn't change color, then rinsed it out really well with water and let it air dry. This was the intercooler for my Dodge Turbo II engine. It uses the same core as the TGP, but has more fins per inch.

I also cleaned out an Isuzu NPR intercooler I bought off eBay. It was a good thing I did; lots of diesel smelling gunk came out, and even a few dead leaves! I shudder to think of my engine inhaling that crap!

Castrol Super degreaser is about the best degreaser I've come across. I've used pretty much everything else and had ok results, but the castrol stuff is the best if you don't wanna scrub anything or take forever. It's about $6/gallon and it's also sold in smaller containers at most stores(walmart, autozone, pep boys..etc...it's sold pretty much everywhere). Do not get it on paint, as it will eat it off or fade it badly. I usually dilute it with a little water, spray it on my engine or whatever I'm cleaning, let it sit only like a minute or so, spray it off and everything looks brand new again. I didn't dilute it on my volvo motor, and it actually turned the aluminum on my intake manifold a whitish color, seems to have took some of the casting off. :oops: strong stuff! highly recommended!

Jeorge,

I took the IC out of my STE (very easy job) and cleaned it in a parts washer (ran the fluid in one end and out the other for 1/2 hour) I also cleaned the IC tubes this way. Once that was donew I took some dishwashing soap (cuts the grease / oil) and re cleaned it twice then let all parts dry over night. Did not get a lot of residue from IC or pipes since previous owner was an older person who took awesome care of car. I also only have about 40K my STE.

I would suggest a power flush of your transmission depending on age / miles, but 5 qts is correct for capacity.

If you use a "line wrench - 6 or 8 point" it will not strip the fitting.

You are the only person I know with the "light gremlins"

Thomas

1: what is the easyest way to clean the Intercooler with out removing it and what shall I use to clean it?

Brake clean, or some sort of degreaser, water and air dry.

2: how many people accutally have the Headlight Problem of only the Fogs, and or High beams working.

THe fog lights won't come on with the high beams on. All GP's of the era have it as do most cars with fogs. There is a limit on the number of lights you can have on the front of a car DOT, also, there isn't much point functionally of the FOGS and high beams at the same time.

3: My Rear Brake distruabution {spelling} leaks Just found out today while looking under my car. I dont want to tighten it up to much other wise it will strip...would teflon tape work?? or creat a gasket <rtv blue>

These types of sealers WILL NEVER WORK on a brake system. Brake systmes are under extreme pressure that flexible sealers CANNOT withstand. If you can't make a mechanical seal, because the lines are leaking, then you will have to re-flare the lines or replace the Proportioning Valve (the rear distribution block). The hex shaped nut with the hole in the middle is where the valve commonly leaks and this CANNOT be fixed (sensing a trend here eh?). The valve MUST be replaced. Do not try to plug, epoxy, tape, screw or otherwise plug the hole.

It depends, but usually 5-7. An empty tranny will hold about 10

3: You will have to replace your rear brake distribution block, it is leaking out the safety pop-off, no tape of wrenching will fix this.

4: Service Manul States 6 quarts, but see my other post on the proper fill of 10 quarts total!!!

Jeff M

Guest fatguy

Jeorge,

The light thing....I can help. I had the same problem with my STE. There is a box behind the glove box that controls the DIC for lights burned out. I don't know what it is called, anyone help me out? Mine was messed with before I bought the car and about yearly have to go in and tighten the connectors because they vibrate loose and I loose random lights. One method to test it is to turn on the headlights to low beam, then with an open hand tap the dash right above the G.B. lock. This may take a couple of swats. Otherwise, To get to it you have to remove the glovebox and there it is. This has a big heatsink (at least mine does) and two big harnesses pluged into it. To fix the loss of low beam, I jumpered the low beam wire from one side of the box to the other. My DIC no longer tells me when I have a low beam out, but oh well.

I have the headlight problem. My fogs and highbeams work, but no low beams. I know it's not bulbs, and the DIC tells me they're out. So I think it's not the switch. When I get a minute I want to try looking behind the glovebox.

I have the headlight problem. My fogs and highbeams work, but no low beams. I know it's not bulbs, and the DIC tells me they're out. So I think it's not the switch. When I get a minute I want to try looking behind the glovebox.

try replacing the relays. if your lowbeam relay is shot it would cause them not to work.

Shane