GnatGoSplat

Once when I was in early elementary school, my mom's van got T-boned by a car on 30mph streets. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt and ended up getting thrown under the dash. I wasn't hurt, but got scuffs and bruises. Had I been belted, I would have stayed put without so much as a scratch. I think it's really dumb not to wear a seatbelt at any speed. Even tooling around town, it's always better to remain uninjured than to suffer minor injuries.

Yeah, I feel naked without my seatbelt too. I put it on before I even stick the key in the ignition. Sometimes I feel a little silly because I'll put it on out of habit just moving the car into or out of the garage to the driveway to wash it or whatever. Better safe than sorry though.

As for seatbelt laws (and the similarly related helmet laws for motorcycles), I don't know how I feel about that. On the one hand, I feel bad for people getting killed and how it affects their friends & family. On the other hand, I think any adult has the right to make their own choices, even stupid ones, and if they get killed for making the stupid choice not to buckle up or wear a helmet, that's their own dumb fault - natural selection at work.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GnatGoSplat

• brianhasadd

• White93z34

• ToroToro

Something else kind of interesting... GM wasn't the only company to use door-mounted seatbelts, apparently the early 90's Nissan 300ZX had exactly the same setup.

My friends dad died in a early 90s 300zx. He hit nitrous by mistake or something (theyre really not sure why he was going that fast. he was very responsible)...and sure enough the door broke open

I always wear my seatbelt, I really don't see what the big deal is... when I have it on I don't even feel it (especialy with our unsafe door mounted ones lol). Like really... is it THAT big of a deal NOT to wear one? Is it THAT uncomfortable? What gives?

I once was driving some people around (co-workers) and I don't really care so much about the people in the back (I'm not really going to be able to see if they are or are not wearing them anyways), but this guy called shotgun (when there are 2 TALL girls too... make them sit in the back :rolleyes: asshole...) but then he didn't want to wear his seatbelt. I'm usually a fairly calm person but I was like "PUT ON YOUR FUCKING SEATBELT OR GET OUT!" So he did. He claimed that as a child a seatbelt broke some ribs or something..... cause he was wearing it under his armpit. :rolleyes: what a stupid fuck.

I put my seatbelt on even if I'm just backing my car out of the driveway to put it on the street. Out of habit and insecurity I guess. I hate not wearing one.

I had to drive my brother home from school once and on the way up the street to our house I noticed he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. I gave the brakes a little stab and he of course flew forward. Not enough to hurt him, but enough to get the message across. I dunno if he just didn't remember or decided he wanted to start being badass, but I haven't seen him not wear one since.

I always wear my seatbelt too....though I don't wear it if I'm putting the caron the street....or moving it into the driveway from in front of my house.....only thing I worry about then in the cop seeing me driving with no belt on hha.....though he doesn't care.

I to think it's stupid not to weat one...but if your over 16 it's your decision, not the driver's. I say if you don't want to wear a seatbelt go rigt the fuck ahead, but if you get a ticket, you're paying it, NOT me. As for crashing, I don't trust these belts do much of anything (in my car anyways), but I still wear it because in most cars I believe they do help.

As most have said, I always wear by seatbelt, and I feel weird without it. It gives me a sense of security, and I know that it'll help in most crashes that I could ever get into. Now there's some instances where seatbelts suck, but they aren't perfect safety devices with no drawbacks, and no one's ever said they were.

I wear mine, except when I'm moving cars on the lot or going to get gas next door. The rest of the time, it's just habit and feeling naked without it. It's like, the car won't move until it's buckled. And I always bitch if Carri doesn't wear hers.

Sorry but I don't feel the same way y'all do. That's good that y'all wear the seatbelts. If I get in a wreck and get thrown from my car, y'all can all laugh and say, "I told you so" :lol: :lol: :lol:

brianhasadd: I understand everyone thinks differently, but isn't it easier if you're in a situation where you slam on your brakes..you dont have to support your whole body with just your arms? Like everyone else said, I feel naked without a seatbelt. Idk how old you are, but I'd say a good 80% of my generation (16-19yr olds) wear them.

Did the four door seatbelt mounting point change at the same time they changed the coupes? I know my parents '94 Regal sedan has door mounted belts, so I would assume they changed them at the same time(?).

As far as wearing a seatbelt, the only time I didn't have one on was back when I had my 1963 GMC pickup(no seatbelts). I was planning on putting seatbelts in the truck before I sold it, but never got around to it. If I would have had a wreck in it, it probably wouldn't have been too pretty as everything inside the truck was metal(dash, huge ass steering wheel, etc.).

Sorry but I don't feel the same way y'all do. That's good that y'all wear the seatbelts. If I get in a wreck and get thrown from my car, y'all can all laugh and say, "I told you so" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed. I'm sure it sounds really stupid to everyone...but after 20 some years of driving, I really dont think I can change. I feel perfectly secure and comfortable without it. End of discussion.

Wearing a seatbelt here is mandatory too, but the fine is only 10 dollars, no points, and they cant pull you over JUST for not wearing it. So needless to say I really think it's a joke. If they really want to force people into buckling up, they need to increase the penalties quite a bit. I really dont care either way.

And yeah, the four doors got the pillar mounts in '95 just like the coupes. With the exception of the GPs of course.

I remember when GM rolled out the passive restraints in 87, how they bragged about their cars' crash ratings improving over the older models with pillar mounted belts :lol: . My guess would be that the test dummies were belted in on the passive restraint-equipped cars :lol: .

Just to Answer you question 95-96 Regals didn't have a Pass Side Air Bag.

WRONG! The 94's were the ones that didn't have a passenger side airbag. The dashboards of the 94-96 GP, 95-96 Regal, and 95-97 Cutty are virtually identical, and all 3 models had dual airbags.

And they also didn't have door mounted Seat Belts.
You're right about that one :wink: .

I'm sure GM had every intention of designing the original W-Bodies to have pillar-mounted belts. Remember, they rolled out the very year that the government required either passive restraints or a driver's side airbag. FWIW, the retractors in my Regal are mounted behind the trim panel underneath the side windows. The lower anchor point is a simple bolt threaded into the floorpan :wink: ...