Success... FWI installed *new videos* pg.3

Cam'ron

2003 Monte Carlo LS 3400 SFI

couple questions?

What did you use, piping size and filter size?

Did you have to modify anything to get the tubing into the fender (it looks like it should be able to fit without any problems) ?

How much did the parts cost you?

How far into the fender should i go to make it more effective in term of being out of the warmer air in the engine bay?

Should be able to do this fairly cheap with the exception of the K&N filter is there a cheaper alternative that flows the same?

should i recover the PCM or whatever that silver box is under the stock airbox, or is it OK exposed?

show me some pics of what you guys have done.. might try and do this this weekend.

I cant answer all of them, but I can say you dont need more than 3" piping, a uniservsal K&N will do the job ( size depends on the room you have to work with ) yous shouldnt have to mod anything, just get the right angle pipe to make it work together.

yeah i have this posted over on MM as well a few more 00+ montes there, kinda hoping to fins someone with a newer one to fill me in

from what i have heard you just nailed it on the head i am lookin for some tips, pointers what to look for, avoid you get the idea

yeah... I mean Id help ya out more, but your engine bay is a little different than mine, plus I havent made one yet.... But Im sure theres others that will chime in.

i just dont want to spend the money they want for something i know ican do my self for alot cheaper... if i wasnt going onto an exhaust shop wednesday where i could get my hands on a peice of tubing for cheap i would probably look into milzy but i know i can do this for cheaper, and i know that doing it my self i will be able to get at the filter easier because i am not going to bury the filter all the way into the fender

They sell cheap cone filters at Canadian Tire for like $38... might wanna try one of those before spending the $$$ on a K&N if you aren't sure what the results are gonna be. I would think any cone filter should flow about the same (alot more than a regular filter anyways...) the real bonus with K&N is that they last forever and reusable.

is there a perfered position in the fender for filter placement?

i see a spot in the fender that with the right bends i can set the filter right in it and it would ride really nice there, it is the triangular hole in the support frame just inside the fender lots of air from all directions there... should that be a good place for it?

There no real position to the filter in there, since itll get the air no matter what position its mounted. Just get it as close to the front corner of the car and just build an air box around that.

You have the battery on the passenger side of your 3400 right? You got more room then us old 3100 guys do lol...

You wanna build the box to try and block out heat from the exhaust/engine.

• 2 weeks later...

came across this link over on MM all i can say is which way to home depot!

thanks for the input guys but hold crap is this detailed, just what i was lookin for, i will get some pics up when i get it done

http://www.oqcgp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17679

[br]Posted on: April 21, 2006, 10:37:49 PM_________________________________________________got all the parts n peices now i think :lol: gonna get er done today[br]Posted on: April 29, 2006, 11:28:08 AM_________________________________________________... or not :lol: i have to find a smaller filter plain and simple, i am not going to start cutting up my fender supports just to get a filter to fit, i know K&N makes a smaller filter that i can work i just have to find it :lol: [br]Posted on: April 29, 2006, 01:03:09 PM_________________________________________________found one... i went to K&Nfilters.com and did a search for the size i was thinking i would be needing and found a part number and started calling around, finally found one and the best part was it was 20 bucks cheaper than the big one i had in the first place...

wOOt FWI goin on this weekend if i dont decide to do it one night htis week

Nice! Im planning out what bends I need for mine. It wont be a FWI, but Ill have the filter down below. Shouldnt be too bad at all. With the nice cold air might pick up a couple hp's but well see.

Be sure to post some pics when your done!

came across this link over on MM all i can say is which way to home depot!

thanks for the input guys but hold crap is this detailed, just what i was lookin for, i will get some pics up when i get it done

http://www.oqcgp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17679

[br]Posted on: April 21, 2006, 10:37:49 PM_________________________________________________got all the parts n peices now i think :lol: gonna get er done today[br]Posted on: April 29, 2006, 11:28:08 AM_________________________________________________... or not :lol: i have to find a smaller filter plain and simple, i am not going to start cutting up my fender supports just to get a filter to fit, i know K&N makes a smaller filter that i can work i just have to find it :lol: [br]Posted on: April 29, 2006, 01:03:09 PM_________________________________________________found one... i went to K&Nfilters.com and did a search for the size i was thinking i would be needing and found a part number and started calling around, finally found one and the best part was it was 20 bucks cheaper than the big one i had in the first place...

wOOt FWI goin on this weekend if i dont decide to do it one night htis week

will that design with the pvc piping work with the mafs..or do i have to continue to wait for somebody to design one

the only reason i can see it possible not working is the ribs? on the MAf inlet, but just incase i have a silicone coupler as well, should be able to suck that down on the MAF inlet no problem

saturday i dont have time through the week to get it done... i will get pics when i am done as well[br]Posted on: May 05, 2006, 08:12:58 AM_________________________________________________finally after a couple extra trip to home depot i got my FWI finshed today...

e6076815.jpg

dc16d214.jpg

045759d0.jpg

i will put a video up in a bit if it sounds ok

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b163/nametnom/FWI%20install/?action=view&current=290c6c7d.flv

Come to the Alberta/Sask meet, and I'll take a picture of you humping his car. She'll never understand... :lol:

Looks very cool dude, and that clip sounds better than the previous clips you had to show us of the exhaust. Good job!

:lol: thanks guys... i think the only thing i am gona do still is re cut the roof vent for the filter cover, clean that up a bit and maybe build some sort of cover/enclosure for the PCM

and so help me god if i catch you humping my car:lol:

reminds me of that mercury mistress skit on SNL with chris parnell