couple of interior Q's

warwgn3

3 questions....

1st.. What do Lumina guys do in terms of cup holders for your cars? I noticed when I got my Euro3.4, that there are no factory cup holders.

I have some really awesome double cup holders that I bought from Wal-Mart when I bought my old wagon. They have rather deep pockets, so the drinks wont tip over in a turn, and the they are actually big enough to fit a 750ml soda pop bottle, instead of some wuss ass 355ml can. I love them cause I can acually fit my "Biggie Sized" wendy's drink in it, AND my cup of fries can go in the other part of the holder. They are also pretty solid when mounted. They are supposed to hang off the crack between the rubber felt thing, and the window, and just rest against the door panel.

But the problem is that they don't fit in the Lumina, the door is too thick, and I can't find any other places to put them, so I'm wondering what you guys have.

2nd. I'm not going to do this right now, but for future reference, what to I have to do to remove the carpet out so I can shampoo it and clean it? It's really filthy, and I think I'd be better off to take it completely out of the car. Or should I leave it in the car? I've done some detailing work on our (my family's) cars, and when I did my Parisienne before I sold it, I found that it was alot easier to take the carpet out of the car shampoo/vaccum it on the garage floor, and leave it on the hood of the car outside to let the sun dry it off for a few hours. Also, does anyone have a spare drivers floor mat for a Lumina? I'm kind of a sucker for originality,I don't think the standard Wal-Mart, Crappy Tire mats would fit well or look good.

3rd. the top part of my dash pad seems to be curling up and shrinking. I took the pad out to see if I can glue it back to the plastic moulding, but I don't think I can, I'm goung to start searching for a dash pad that is in good condition. Would any of you know where I can get one?

1. Cupholders?? What are those? :lol: Umm, i forget what the interior of a 1st gen lumina is like, but you might be able to add one that folds out of the center console. But im not too sure.

2. I dunno exactly how filthy your carpet is, but on my car, all i did was remove the seats, and shampoo the carpeting inside the car. Than, i just left the doors and sunroof open, and all the carpet was dry in a little over an hour. I also did the seats while they were out of the car too.

3. As for the dash, if it hasnt shrunk back too much, you could take the dash out of the car, warm up the area where it is warped, and drive wood screws in around the perimeter of the defrost vent. I predrilled the holes before putting in the screws so as not to crack the plastic underneith.

1. if you have the floor shift with center console(which i assume you do...euro 3.4) then theres really no spot for a cupholder. Unless you go Walmart style and get those ones that clip to your doors

2. It could go either way, having it outside the car would help it dry faster, but inside the car would be more convenient

3. Best bet is to go to a j/y and find a cheap, non warped Dashpad

i just don't drink in the car, less chance of mess.

but if i do have a drink, i'll try and make sure that its a bottle so i can just shove it between the seat and center console

You could aways swap a center console from a later model w-body
Do later model W-Body consoles have built-in cup holders for both the front and rear passengers? Can they hold anything thicker than a wuss-assed 355mL soda-pop can? I usually like to try to keep the car looking original, so I'll grab a different console if it's useful, but if not, I'd rather keep the original.

I Actually kinda wish the console wasn't there. I'm more of a column shifter/bench seat kind of guy, rather than floor shifter/bucket seat. I don't really need lumbar support to keep me in the seat, since I don't see myself doing any corner carving or racing with the car. I thought of a way to try and convert my Euro from floor shift to column, but considering its condition, and how I'm going to use it, it's probably not worth putting that kind of money into it.