• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chadz34

• 5speedz34

• White93z34

• Prospeeder

I think I have it narrowed down! I searched the internet for 2 hours on this problem I'm having and I found this....

''I have a 96 lumina it was in need of a tune up so I out in new wires and plugs and it seemed to run fine but about a week later it started bucking and jerking at highway speeds. I could get it to stop by either giving it more gas or by lettng off the gas. Also the service engine soon light would flash at different times. I checked the codes and got a p1200 local gm dealer had never heard of this thought it might be a computer but I dont believe him.''

Same symptoms as me. The problem was the Injector Control Circuit! It may not be the case, what do you guys think? I can't afford plugs and wires, and this damn circuit. I need to take a stab at one!

OMG.

DO THE FUCKING PLUGS AND WIRES AND A TUNE-UP AND THEN GET BACK TO US. YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IF THAT IS FOR A 3100 OR NOT.

GOD DAMNIT! IF THAT DOESN'T WORK MAYBE IT'S THE CONTINUM TRANSFUNTIONAR!

:bash: :bash:

Maybe the alternator isn't putting out a steady 1.21 jiggawatts

:werd: i had that problem, replaced the alternator and i was able to travel time normally again.

Maybe the alternator isn't putting out a steady 1.21 jiggawatts

:werd: i had that problem, replaced the alternator and i was able to travel time normally again.

You guys are hilarious, stop trying to confuse this kid.

Well, I know it's not the plugs, I changed them. It took me 2 hours to complete it. I could do it in 30 minutes now. Thanks to the throttle body bolts are in the gayest angles to get at. But the plugs had oil on them and looked pretty crisp. When I took the intake plenum off, to my suprise cylinder number 3's wire had a crack on the boot that seals it. I don't know if this affects spark, but if it does there's my problem. I am gonna get wires for it on the weekend. Price is $163.99 CDN. Believe it. :shock:

Chad... I'd recomend testing the injectors, try to test 'em when they're warm - I had this problem on a 3.1 beretta and one of the injectors was failing and would short out and cut the injector control circut (quad driver)

--Dave.

Chad... I'd recomend testing the injectors, try to test 'em when they're warm - I had this problem on a 3.1 beretta and one of the injectors was failing and would short out and cut the injector control circut (quad driver)

--Dave.

Thanks alot, I think you may be right! Like I mentioned above, about the Injector Control Circuit. I am sure the wires are fine, but may replace them anyways. Thanks alot for the quick response Dave.

well, the quad driver is built into the computer, so there's no real circuit to replace there - once ya get the injector(s) replaced, you should be good.

--Dave.

not always, it can sometimes trigger it, other times it just causes issues and doesn't trigger anything

injectors can run anywhere from $30, up to a couple hundred each - I'd recomend (for a stock aplication) just go to Autozone and pick up the number of injectors you need, probably just one, maybe two.

--Dave.

Why don't you replace your spark plug wires first and then solve your problem?

I don't have 163.99 to throw away on wires. I know wires aren't the problem. They looked fine, no crack or anything, the were replaced with the coil pack form the previous owner just before I bought my Chevrolet.

The guy at Canadian Tire, said my car came with A/C Delco Platinum's (plugs). Once I heard platinum, I made him check again. Turns out 96-97 DOHC's came with them from the factory.

chad, plug wires wear out. its a fact of life. my camaro had its origional plug wires on it, they were the LAST thing i changed out, and what fixed my misfire and bogging problem, they looked 100% good too. start with whats general matniance before throwing money away on things you may not need. and have you changed the fuel filter yet? that costs under $10.

you HAVE to be able to get them cheeper elsewhere, and its not 100% necessary that you get ACDelco, i'm running some borg warners just fine. i know i can get wires here for $30-$50 at about any parts store.

EDIT: just went back and re-read it, if the wires are already new, disregaurd what i just said. however start at the fuel filter, thats the next logical step.

When I took the intake plenum off, to my suprise cylinder number 3's wire had a crack on the boot that seals it. I don't know if this affects spark, but if it does there's my problem. I am gonna get wires for it on the weekend. Price is $163.99 CDN. Believe it. :shock:

I don't have 163.99 to throw away on wires. I know wires aren't the problem. They looked fine, no crack or anything, the were replaced with the coil pack form the previous owner just before I bought my Chevrolet.

You really know how to contradict yourself. As I stated you can find some on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-96-97-CHEVY-OLDS-PONTIAC-3-4L-SPARKPLUG-WIRES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33692QQitemZ8037359407QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVWQQtcZphoto

Ohh AC Delco wires for $10? YEAH!!!!!

tv_crankyankers_053102.jpg

Chad do you have the hard plastic or the rubber boots that feed into the holes?

BTW, I spent a month and a half trying to find out what was wrong with my car. Plug wires looked good and had proper resistance. Guess what the problem was.

BTW, I spent a month and a half trying to find out what was wrong with my car. Plug wires looked good and had proper resistance. Guess what the problem was.

Yeah I have them, I have no clue how to get it off the wire!

You don't take the boots off! They come with boots! :wink:

You don't take the boots off! They come with boots! :wink:

Yep, I found that out.