Problems with my engine.

chadz34

1996 DOHC. The problem is when you are at a steady speed the car bucks, same with going up a hill, it will buck and then go. It doesn't do it all the time. Could this be an EGR valve? That's what I want to lean towards. You can clean them if I'm not mistaken, so that will save me money. I also thought maybe it could be plug wires. Help please.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chadz34

• 5speedz34

• White93z34

• Prospeeder

How are the plugs and wires, go with that, if the EGR was malfunctioning it would set of a code with OBD 1.5 and 2

Well it says in my manual, that the plugs are good for 100,000 miles. But, the wires are not, so I would change the wires. I figured with the EGR, that it would have to be totally fucked for it to set off a code. It doesn't buck all the time, but it is annoying. I will end up cleaning the EGR valve once I know where the fuck it is.

How are the plugs and wires, go with that, if the EGR was malfunctioning it would set of a code with OBD 1.5 and 2

Well it says in my manual, that the plugs are good for 100,000 miles. But, the wires are not, so I would change the wires. I figured with the EGR, that it would have to be totally fucked for it to set off a code. It doesn't buck all the time, but it is annoying. I will end up cleaning the EGR valve once I know where the fuck it is.

Look for the EGR pipe off the Crossover to the downpipe

Hmm now do you see why i DONT like the DOHC engines, you think i was just being ignorant or what :lol: you prolly cant even see the rear exhaust manifold/cross over to find the EGR pipe theres so much shit

Hmm now do you see why i DONT like the DOHC engines, you think i was just being ignorant or what :lol: you prolly cant even see the rear exhaust manifold/cross over to find the EGR pipe theres so much shit

It's so crammed, not much can be done. I just need someone to tell me where the EGR valve is. So, I can clean it. Damn thing runs perfect though, just the EGR valve is gay. :lol:

I want to see where the damn thing is, too.

God damnit, I tohught you were gonna help me. :lol: I saw that Fastbird made a post in my thread I have a solution! But yes, does anyone know where the hell the damned EGR valve is!? :roll:

Take off the airbox, and there should be room to look on the Exhaust cross over for the EGR pipe, its a ribbed pipe that goes up right to the valve, ok?

Have you ever taken the airbox off a 3.4! :lol: J/K it's easy to do. Alright I will take the airbox off and look. I already had the whole airbox off to clean it. Rad hose is in the way, so is the throttle cable.

373899_65_full.jpg

See the tranny dipstick. Thats where mine used to sit, until it was completely blocked off that is.

Oh, and I bet its not the EGR. If it was, gas mileage would be horrible, and your car would be running horribly.

I'd check things more along the spark side, i.e. coil packs, ICM, plugs, wires.

373899_65_full.jpg

See the tranny dipstick. Thats where mine used to sit, until it was completely blocked off that is.

Oh, and I bet its not the EGR. If it was, gas mileage would be horrible, and your car would be running horribly.

The car RUNS awesome, fuel mileage is actually good. It has a new coil pack. So, you think probably pulgs and wires? How much does an ICM go for?

373899_65_full.jpg

The car RUNS awesome, fuel mileage is actually good. It has a new coil pack. So, you think probably pulgs and wires? How much does an ICM go for?

A new coil pack, or all 3 replaced? ICM, not sure, never bought a brand new one. Always ebayed or JY'd for them.

Does it only do it when fully warmed up, or when the car is cold, or all the time?

well why don't you pull a spark plug out and take a picture or tell us how it is.

like chris said the EGR is right by the trans dipstick. any idea when plugs or wires were done last?

373899_65_full.jpg

A new coil pack, or all 3 replaced? ICM, not sure, never bought a brand new one. Always ebayed or JY'd for them.

Does it only do it when fully warmed up, or when the car is cold, or all the time?

Just a new coil pack. It does it all the time. Not all the time but randomly it will buck until you give it more gas, or let off the gas. I thought EGR valve because it seems to do it when you are at a constant engine rpm. Like, acceleration is fine, I think. It's not a huge buck, but it's noticeable.

well why don't you pull a spark plug out and take a picture or tell us how it is.

like chris said the EGR is right by the trans dipstick. any idea when plugs or wires were done last?

I guess I could do that. I'll take the front 3 plugs out tomorrow. We can clean our EGR valves right? At least that was what I was thinking. There are no codes.

EGR wouldn't cause that. A truely faulty EGR would cause the engine to run poorly. You would also have bad gas mileage.

I'd start by changing your plugs and wires. If that doesn't solve it, pick up another good working coil, and start swapping the coils 1 by 1. Last resort, put on a new ICM. Kinda a PITA at the current location, but whatever.

I forgot to mention, but when I go out in the mornings or the car is cold, it takes 2 tries to start the car? I was tihnking maybe this is tied to the bucking problem.

i'd say at 57,000 it probably has never seen a good tune up and is about due.

start with some seafoam, then change out the plugs and wires, air cleaner, PCV, and a fuel filter, and change the trans fluid if it looks bad. and consider doing a timing belt soon since the 96' engines are interfearance.

and even if this dosen't solve that problem, it could stand to be done anyhow. and since you claim it dosen't like to start on cold mornings i'd say that points to the plugs/wires being worn out more then anything.

i'd say at 57,000 it probably has never seen a good tune up and is about due.

start with some seafoam, then change out the plugs and wires, air cleaner, PCV, and a fuel filter, and change the trans fluid if it looks bad. and consider doing a timing belt soon since the 96' engines are interfearance.

and even if this dosen't solve that problem, it could stand to be done anyhow. and since you claim it dosen't like to start on cold mornings i'd say that points to the plugs/wires being worn out more then anything.

I put a new air cleaner in it, it has new oil, but I am going to run synthetic sometime this week, it's on sale. I haven't inspected the timing belt yet, but I might as well do that while I'm under the hood. So, basically I should get plugs and wires? That's what I'm leaning at now. But like once it's warmed up, it starts soon as you turn the key.

94-95 are the same engines, and may or may not be interference.

96-97 are the same engines, and may or may not be interference. I have heard of 96-97's blowing timing belts and no internal damage being done.