'90 3.1 hard starting + serv eng soon light

AM6_Cutlass

Ok, this is happening to my g/f's 1990 Beretta, but I thought you guys would know what it might be anyway.

Her car was having an oil leak. Well, her dad works at a garage (I don't trust them there), but he offered to fix it for her for free. She took the car in last week, and they fixed the oil leak. Ever since she got it back though, the service engine soon light has been on. They guys at the garage said it was a coolant temperature sensor. At first the oil pressure and temp guages were acting goofy, so that seemed possible, but they have returned to normal since. After the car sits for awhile though, it doesn't want to turn over when starting and will stall out if it isn't given enough gas to keep the tach over 10x for a few minuites. After the car has ran, it will start right back up though. They told her to run some fuel injector cleaner through it, which seemed to eliminate the problem for about a day, but it has returned. Has also been suggested that it might be the fuel filter or fuel pump. Thoughts, suggestions...?

Ok, this is happening to my g/f's 1990 Beretta, but I thought you guys would know what it might be anyway.

Her car was having an oil leak. Well, her dad works at a garage (I don't trust them there), but he offered to fix it for her for free. She took the car in last week, and they fixed the oil leak. Ever since she got it back though, the service engine soon light has been on. They guys at the garage said it was a coolant temperature sensor. At first the oil pressure and temp guages were acting goofy, so that seemed possible, but they have returned to normal since. After the car sits for awhile though, it doesn't want to turn over when starting and will stall out if it isn't given enough gas to keep the tach over 10x for a few minuites. After the car has ran, it will start right back up though. They told her to run some fuel injector cleaner through it, which seemed to eliminate the problem for about a day, but it has returned. Has also been suggested that it might be the fuel filter or fuel pump. Thoughts, suggestions...?

Retrieve the code for that light by probing the ALDL connector(with ignition on and engine off) :) :)

Thanks!

"CTS is used to control fuel mixture, timing, idle speed, TCC and EGR operations among others"

Sounds very possible that this could be the whole problem. I'll try the paperclip method tonight. Should the codes be the same for a L-Body?

No Code! The only thing it was giving was a code 12, and yes I let it cycle through more than three times. I was expecting a code for coolant temperature sensor. So, now what?

No Code! The only thing it was giving was a code 12, and yes I let it cycle through more than three times. I was expecting a code for coolant temperature sensor. So, now what?

So what happened? Did you ever get a code ?

No code, but the car blew some kind of coolant line in the back of the engine and peed coolant all over the road and driveway (luckily happened right near her house). So, now the car sits in the driveway. At least I got mine back, so one of us has a running car.