Fuel Gauge Issue

runt

Alright, so I filled up with gas last night which is nothing new. Had a full tank and the gauge read full when I left the station. I was driving down my local 4 lane highway toward the State Store. As I'm going down the road, I notice that my Fuel level is showing like 1/4 left in the tank. I'm thinking WTF, I KNOW that it was ok when I left the gas station. As I continued down the road, it went all the way down to E and even pull the Low Fuel Light. I pull into the State Store parking lot and throw the car in park and it goes back up to completely full!!

I get my stuff at the State Store and I'm heading to my friends house. The gauge was fine at this point so I figured it was just something dumb. Wrong. Did it again on my 5 minute drive there. I park the car and magically it goes back up. Same shit on the way home later that night.

Should I consider it to be Electrical or just try some dry gas or something incase of water? This is the FIRST time anything like this has ever happened, which is leading me to think I'll never get gas there again (for the 2nd time...under new owner ship, thought things may have changed...guessed wrong)

THanks for the help.

Mine dis the same thing if press the brakes too hard. Then it magicly goes back up to Full, Mine was an electrical problem. I replaced the instrument cluster and it seems to be better now

My Malibu does that. When I put gas in it when I leave the gas station sometimes it will drop to E and pull a low fuel light. There are other times were if I fill it but keep on driving and it will stay at full, then I'll hit a bump and the thing drops to like half. I gave up with it and use the trip odometer for knowing how much gas is in the car. In my case, the sending unit is the problem. Can't say I'm worried too much about it though.

Talked to a guy today. Said probably some bad gas and it's fuckin' with the sending unit. I'm gonna try some decent Fuel Injection Cleaner (what he told me...a mechanice none the less...) and see what that does. Did it once today on my way to the gym but not on the way home. Fucked up I tell ya.

I was gonna say the sending unit is prolly your first suspect. Maybe that cleaner will help it out though...

On a side note, how come you guys get a low fuel light and all I get is check gauges light :lol: :lol: j/k

Just the way the car was made. the 93 and 94 Cs have the annoying check guages light instead of a fuel light.

On a side note, the 93 and 94 Cs HUD has the ability to give you a low fuel light, if you where to wire it in! It is the same HUD as the Gp and I'm putting one in my Lumina right now :P na-nah-na-na-nah!!!!!

Just the way the car was made. the 93 and 94 Cs have the annoying check guages light instead of a fuel light.

1992s as well... LOL It's the only light that works on my wife's Cutlass cluster! I need to clean contacts or just replace the damn cluster, the check engine light doesn't work and I know the bulbs are all good... :?

I always forget which 92 had, lol

I damaged one of the pins once in a cluster rendering the check engine light disconnected. straightened the pin and it works fine now. what other critical lights do/don't work? start a thread if you need help problem shooting it. Also, where are you located?

Ken actually LOL

ok. check to see if all your pins are straight.

And get an ohmeter and check condinuity on the circuit by back tracing the pins to determine if maybe you have a break in the circuit board, such as the pin to board connection.

good luck

Hmmm

i had a week where my car did that too, it was after i got my tranny worked on.

The only thing I did was i disconnected my battery to put my pcm back in, and havent seen the problem yet :shrug: i doubt that had anything to do with it though, lol

Well, it seems OK now. It actually just stopped on it's own yesterday afternoon. I still ran a bunch of gas out of it, threw a bottle of Injection cleaner in it and topped off the tank. That should do it. I was kinda crappin' my pants b/c I really don't want to drop the tank and throw a sending unit in it! I could deal with just using the milage but I like my car to not do fucked up things like that. Ahhh well.