[exhaust] Uneven sound, Y-pipe.......rough idle

Guest donkeykongrape

Guest donkeykongrape

Well I am sure you boys out there who have dual exhaust are familiar with the Y pipe being more to the passenger side of the car, right? I've noticed the passenger side exhaust and muffler sounds much better and richer than the driver side one...this is because more gas is being channeled out through the passenger side, right? Is there any way to make the driver side sound a bit better too? I'm using stock mufflers I think (they say GM on them) on my 92 cutlass supreme, however I assure you, they do NOT sound anything like a stock exhaust system!! These things sound like flowmasters baby, nice low growl at idle, scream at WOT. Did GM really make them like this? I'm impressed.

As for the low idle, it's not a big of a deal, but on occasion, while idling...I'd notice the idle will roughen a bit. The RPMs don't really change at all, but I can hear the engine not running very smoothly, and if I put my ear close to the exhaust outlet, I can hear mini backfires ocurring. If I wait 2 minutes, the engine catches itself and all is gone. Like I said, RPM stays rather constant, doesn't seem to affect much performance, is this anything I should worry about, and any way to find out what's causing it?

I will try to get a nice sound clip of my supposedly stock exhaust one of these days

I will try to get a nice sound clip of my supposedly stock exhaust one of these days

i was waiting for the sound clip!

Try cleaning out your idle air control valve and egr valve and such, common places where carbon gets built up on the 3.1 motor. also, when was the last time you but plugs in?

Guest donkeykongrape

sorry I didnt get around to post a clip, been busy :P will do it within the next couple of days....I replaced the IAC valve and tried to clean the metal housing thing a couple months back, same w/ EGR as I was having stalling problems. After replacing the IAC valve it went away.

I did plugs a few months back too.

I have a custom y-pipe shaped really close to how the factory y-pipe is and you cannot tell a difference in sound from the left to right side of my car(I believe both sides on my car flow nearly identical, the smoke clouds from each tailpipe on a cold morning are identical for what it's worth). I also do not have mufflers at the rear though, I have a single muffler placed further upstream where the catalytic converter used to be.

on my old Z34 I never noticed a difference. I wa told that there should have been, but oh well.

My '92 has an even exhaust on it, so its not a currently a problem.

If push comes to shove, replace your exahust system with a stainless one, and but some flowmasters, or magnoflows on there.

As for it running rough at times it could do with a bad EGR, bad injectors, or a basic tune up.

• 2 weeks later...