New rear struts tomorrow

SimonStern

I plan on buying some new rear struts tomorrow. I was looking at the KYB GR2 Gas Struts

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=KYB&mfrpartnumber=236003&parttype=50&ptset=A

They don't carry them anywhere around here so I'd have to order them online. When talking to the person at Kragen they said they do have monroes (sensatrac I believe) in stock and they would be about as good, about $14 a piece cheaper. So my dilemma is should I order the KYBs or should I just get the monroes from the local parts store?

I'm not looking to tear up the track here, I see my regal as more of a smooth comfortable ride, almost a luxury car type, but I would like some performance too. I'm looking basically for a quality part that's going to last and be a smooth ride, lots of train tracks and rough roads round these parts.

The KYB's will definitely improve your handling, but they greatly sacrifice ride quality, even in a softly-sprung Regal. My Regal's handling is awesome with the GR2's, but the ride quality is alot harsher than it was before adding the KYB's.

Your decision should be based on how you use your car. If you only drive it occasionally, then definitely go for the KYB's (and buy them from The TireRack!) If your car is your daily driver, then I say you should get the Monroes.

Just my $.02...

autozone's gabriel struts are ok IMO for a daily driver. Plus you can take em back again and again if they wear out. I've put 35,000 miles on gabriel front catridges and I am satisfied.
Damn near everyone on this forum has had bad experiences with Gabriel struts. I can't say for sure if the shitty struts I removed from my Regal were Gabriels or not, so I have no opinion of them. Although I did install a set of $9.99 Gabriel shocks on the rear of my $200 85 Grand Am, and they lasted a good 3 1/2 years, so who's to say :shrug: ...

So would that be the consensus?

KYB GR2= rougher ride/better performance

Monroe Sensa Trac= more comfortable ride/decent performance

DiscoStudd waits for the "SEARCH THE FORUM, NOOB" replies to come pouring in. :lol:

I have searched, some said the KYBs were good, others said they were pretty stiff and also I could not be sure the ones talked about before were the same ones I was looking at. I like to be sure, I don't have the money to change my mind after the fact. I didn't remember seeing much about the monroes but I guess I've settled on them for the smoother ride. I don't think there will be people touting the search, only a bunghole (miss that show) would say something like that and the people in this forum are way too nice to do that... right... :lol:

BTW, anything else I need to/should get too, new mounts or anything, I'm talking need here cause my greenback stack is lookin kinda slack, as always :roll:

I don't think there will be people touting the search, only a bunghole (miss that show) would say something like that and the people in this forum are way too nice to do that... right... :lol:
Ha! You sure haven't been around here very long, have you? :lol: When you get these guys started, look out! :lol:

Did you say beavis.gifBUNGHOLE?!?

BTW, anything else I need to/should get too, new mounts or anything, I'm talking need here cause my greenback stack is lookin kinda slack, as always :roll:
Get the mounts and boots. It's important that you change out the mouts with the back struts, cause they wear out rather quickly:

mount.jpg

You're only changing out the rears? You're going to eventually want to replace the fronts as well. I changed out the rears on my Regal first and drove the car a couple of times before I got around to changing the fronts, and it rode real funny-like. The rear seemed solidly planted on the ground, but go over any bump and the front wobbled up and down like crazy.

Honestly, if my Regal was a daily driver, I'd have sprung for the SensaTracs. For what I want the car to eventually be (more like a sporty cruiser) the KYB's fit the bill, but I don't know if I could live with them in daily driving...

So would that be the consensus?

KYB GR2= rougher ride/better performance

Monroe Sensa Trac= more comfortable ride/decent performance

I'd say that's a fair assessment from what people have found. However, I'm really satisfied with my Monroe suspension components! They work well casually driving & when I push it. However, I've never rode in a W with KYB's, so I have no point of comparison.

i intend on doing new rear struts soon followed by fronts, i'm prety sure i'm gona go with sensatracks, i'm not looking for anything crazy in the handleing department, and i do a ton of highway driving, so i'd like the best ride for that as possable.