Women love my DIC!!!

GnatGoSplat

Penny loves to play with my DIC!

Driver Info Computer, that is.

I put an '88-91 DIC in Penny's 94 convertible.

It's pretty cool, because I think I have the only 94 Cutty with a DIC. :)

IMGP0706.JPG

Unfortunately, I discovered NOT everything works.

GAUGES, trip computer functions, SPEED functions, Oil life monitor, that all works.

Anything to do with FUEL (INST ECON, AVG ECON, Gallons used, etc.) does NOT work. I guess there is just no fuel data on the ALDL in a 94. When I put it in INST ECON, it says 0.0 MPG when the car is stopped, and 80.0 MPG when the car is moving. There's no in-between. One of these days I'll see if I can figure out what needs to be done to the MEMCAL to make it spit out fuel data on the ALDL. Until then, what features it offers is pretty cool anyway.

Not sure if you want to go to the trouble of hooking up the Fuel Eco readings, they're not very accurate and can be outright useless most of the time (this is with ECM upgrade).. I like all the other features though, like oil change meter, battery voltage, and coolant temp.

Just that. I was messing with EFI Live V4 one time and it could not figure out the 94 ALDL datastream. All the other code masks use a similar datastream with the same timing, but in 94 they completely overhauled it. I was talking with someone and they said that the ecm is not OBDI, and not OBDII, its inbetween (OBDII SES codes non-the-less). Also if you look at the binary files of the 94 DOHC chip compared to all others, not a single table is relitively close to what the others are. They re-wrote the entire chip.

Yeah, it's a weird hybrid PCM for sure. It has the same casing, connectors, and even diagnostic connector as the OBD I, but the pinouts of the PCM itself are different.

At least most of the chatter data seems to be the same...

Do you know anything about the chatter data? As this is what the DIC monitors (the DIC actually just goes into "DIAGNOSTIC MODE" when the ECM is asked to broadcast diagnostic data on the ALDL).

Yea, I know about chatter data (ie ALDL datastream) but not on the 94. As far as i care the 94 ecm can rot in hell, I'm droping in a 91-93 DOHC ecm which is more easily messed with, and all I loose is SFI. Even trade I think.

Don't forget MAF!

Isn't MAF usually more forgiving of mods though? I thought most MAF cars you can just install larger injectors and it'll work, while speed density pretty much requires modifying the cal data.

Do you know where I can find a BIN from a 94?