I am an idiot. Two Door 97+ GP GTP?

chadz34

My engine is not a piece, and its not unreliable. i drove it 3 hours one way down the shore every weekend over the summer without one problem. You need to realize that the 3.4 is NOT the fastest thing on the road, you're not going to take an S/C GTP with it. 200hp out of a v6 in the early 90's WAS good, now its mediocre, if not poor. 200HP is not amazing by any means. You really need to get over this engine already.

Sorry, I like the engine, I realize the 3.4 is NOT by any means the fastest engine in the world. But, I still like it. Mine has been nothing less than amazing for me, so I have a lot of respect for the engine. 200 HP is enough for a kid who could kill themselves with soemthing faster. I have the fastest car out of all my friends. I also worked 2 and a half-3 years for it. So, it's mainly me being proud of the car. Is there anything wrong with that Ross?

Guest Anonymous

God knows no-one is more proud of their car than me, in all its outdated glory. And i've got the same exact engine as you. I've had three of these things, with every possible thing go wrong. Your's is a low mileage example. Once it starts getting higher mileage, and things go wrong, I don't think your going to be as stunned and amazed by it. Just wait until the timing belt goes.

God knows no-one is more proud of their car than me, in all its outdated glory. And i've got the same exact engine as you. I've had three of these things, with every possible thing go wrong. Your's is a low mileage example. Once it starts getting higher mileage, and things go wrong, I don't think your going to be as stunned and amazed by it. Just wait until the timing belt goes.

I don't want to experience the timing belt. Or anything really expensive to fix. I might just spend a day or 3 changing the timing belt in the summer. Preventative maintenence is the key... 8)

You just know shit will go wrong when we put it on, and the car will never be the same again. That's my luck.

:lol: I don't want to lose. You guys are supposed to help me win! :roll:

You can't win. Your putting an outdated, automatic, underpowered NA engine against a much larger, supercharged, and newer engine. You'll lose no matter how you slice it. Getting a 10 second head start against him isn't winning.

For once, I 100% agree with you ross.

and yeah 200hp was prety sweet from a v6 in the early-mid 1990s, now its medicore, and to me is "average"

What was amazing in 90s was a 190 horse 4 cylinder thats N/A, also the Quad 4 W41, or the HO w/ 180

Yeah the 180hp HO quad in 1990 was amazing, and then in '91 they raised the bar and released the 190hp W41 Quad. For the early 90's, 190hp out of a 2.3L is purely bad ass. My '90 W40 Calais hauled balls and it had almost 200k on it...it would've surely spanked the shit out of my T/A (of course that doesn't take much).

Afterall, who would expect this car to run low 15's if you pulled up next to it at a stoplight:

Calais2.jpg

It did some nice smokey burnouts all the way through 4th gear too.

Shawn

probably in second from 35-40 mph would be your best chance

ya, the GTP's have a weird lul tuned into the tranny at that point....from about 35-42 mph they are dogs for some reason.....atleast, that is how the stock GTP's i've ridden in are.....I think the DHP's take care of the lul though.

ya, the GTP's have a weird lul tuned into the tranny at that point....from about 35-42 mph they are dogs for some reason.....atleast, that is how the stock GTP's i've ridden in are.....I think the DHP's take care of the lul though.

Why does that happen though?

Bone stock, you're not going to win. I really don't think you could take him anywhere in his powerband whatsoever with having an automatic and absolutely no mods to the car at all. Yeah, my engine might be outdated and underpowered, but you know what? I like it. No, it'll never run 12's. Hell, it'll probably never hit 13's, but if I have a blast driving this car and I have no problem hanging with modded GTP's, I'm pretty happy about it. I plan on building a nice CAI and throwing on an UDP and I'll be done modding this car. It's fun to me no matter what.

The 40 MPH lag point exists because the car will refuse to shift down to first at this point. Even the "stock" DHP PCM's fix this problem.

Some stupid stock tune thing I think

Some stupid stock tune thing I think

Oh well, every car has a tuning issue from the factory. That's why they made computer chips.

I raced a z34 with my stock black gtp a while ago. 3 time with the same outcome. But the z34 surprised me. One race was from like a 10-15 roll other was from a 50ish roll and the last was a 70ish roll. The 70ish roll he was already fully floored and going to pass me before i knew it. Took me till about 100 or so to get back even with him.

But i did like the sound his white z34 made.

Will

I agree. ^^

My 1997 Z was a BEAST until I started flogging it.. after a couple WOT runs, the car was a DOG. It was so bad that I got destroyed by a Grand Marquis one day on the highway.. that's when I knew things had gotten bad.

I don't think you'll beat him, but you will have your best chance at 40 where he's just out of range for getting back into 1st..

Loving your engine and having it be powerful over a decade ago doesn't mean anything if you're racing a supercharged, larger displacement, more horsepower, and newer engine.

I also noticed the power loss since I started flogging it. When I first started driving the car, it could chirp the tires from a dead stop. Now, after two years of me behind the wheel, it simply won't. What could cause that?

If I were you, Id baby that Z since it has so few miles, probably one of the lowest on the board. Why beat on the poor thing :(

Flooring the gas pedal isn't beating on it. :wink:

I agree. ^^

My 1997 Z was a BEAST until I started flogging it.. after a couple WOT runs, the car was a DOG. It was so bad that I got destroyed by a Grand Marquis one day on the highway.. that's when I knew things had gotten bad.

I don't think you'll beat him, but you will have your best chance at 40 where he's just out of range for getting back into 1st..

Are you talking about repeated WOT runs or WOT runs spread out over a period of time? If repeated, you probably just experienced heatsoak or something....if not, you had some type of issue taking away power(worn part most likely).

fastbird232, did you change tires or anything within that period? I know my '93(3.1) would spin my previous tires(some Goodyear all-season type tires) for a few feet, it will rarely even chirp my soft Bridgestone Potenzas I have on the car now. The engine/trans in my '93 have a little over 200K on them, still seems to make the stock rated power or maybe even a tad more(the motor had nearly perfect compression when I tested it last with 175K on it).