I am an idiot. Two Door 97+ GP GTP?

chadz34

Yeah so my friend calls me, tells me he got a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP for 7 grand Canadian. He got ripped off bad. It had no tranny when he got it. Anyways, I had no idea they made 2 door 97+ GP GTP's, I thought they were all 4 doors. :lol:

Picture047.jpg

He wants to race me this summer.

97+ drs could be had from 1997-2002, Pontiac dropped the coupes for the 2003 model year.

PS: Hope you're racing from a roll. :wink: A lot of the 97's have turned out "freak" 1/4 mile times.

97+ drs could be had from 1997-2002, Pontiac dropped the coupes for the 2003 model year.

PS: Hope you're racing from a roll. :wink: A lot of the 97's have turned out "freak" 1/4 mile times.

His is a 2000. But, where do I have a best chance against him. I don't want to race form a stop, because then, there's no point of racing, I'll get smoked. He has no mods at all. But, that's not to say he won't until the summer. I just can't see people modding cars in the winter.

His is a 2000. But, where do I have a best chance against him. I don't want to race form a stop, because then, there's no point of racing, I'll get smoked. He has no mods at all. But, that's not to say he won't until the summer. I just can't see people modding cars in the winter.

I guess I need to pay more attention when reading. :oops: Try a 40mph+ rolling start, that should net a decent race between both cars.

you didnt know they made Gen 2 GTP 2 doors?? havent you ever seen a two door GP with "GTP" on the sides??

Well, I never really paid attention, because I thought they were all 4 doors. So, when my friend called me up I had to go look at it to believe it was a 2 door. :lol:

So, a 40 mph roll should be a good race between a stock 2000 GTP and a 1992 Z34? :?:

Ok, I guess we will try that, I got a lot of time to prep for that race. :lol: I wish the 3.4 had more low end, just so that it's easier to race. So, for the 35-40 mph race, will I pull ahead very hard on the GTP? Odds are, when we race, it will be a 40-110 mph race.

Ok, I guess we will try that, I got a lot of time to prep for that race. :lol: I wish the 3.4 had more low end, just so that it's easier to race. So, for the 35-40 mph race, will I pull ahead very hard on the GTP? Odds are, when we race, it will be a 40-110 mph race.

You might not pull any at all, race and find out, nobody can tell 100% that the race will go either way. I would stick to exactly 40mph for a start as the GTP will not kickdown to 1st gear at that speed, pretty sure a 35mph start will put the GTP into 1st gear...and they takeoff pretty hard from that kickdown.

Your friend is a tool. No one should pay that much for a W-body with no transmission. And of course you'll beat him. Everywhere in the powerband. He can't even move! :lol:

I almost shit my pants when he told me how much he paid for it with no transmission. He has a new transmission in it now though. He's still a damn tool. His car is real nice in person!

nice lookin car for sure, but i say it will take you cause of the auto, I know digital hung with one from a roll only with a manual

I guess we'll just have to find out. I thought from a roll. The 3.4 would have a good chance against a GTP in the high-rpm range.

nice lookin car for sure, but i say it will take you cause of the auto, I know digital hung with one from a roll only with a manual

I guess we'll just have to find out. I thought from a roll. The 3.4 would have a good chance against a GTP in the high-rpm range.

eh, the GTP still has 240 horses @5200-6kish RPMs wich is near its redline of 5900 RPMs, and im sure by its redline the power isnt dropped off to nothing, but who knows, 200hp 3.4 DOHC auto might make more power at its redline, i guess ull have to tell us what happends, do it now! lol

Guest Anonymous

:lol: I don't want to lose. You guys are supposed to help me win! :roll:

You can't win. Your putting an outdated, automatic, underpowered NA engine against a much larger, supercharged, and newer engine. You'll lose no matter how you slice it. Getting a 10 second head start against him isn't winning.

:lol: I don't want to lose. You guys are supposed to help me win! :roll:

You can't win. Your putting an outdated, automatic, underpowered NA engine against a much larger, supercharged, and newer engine. You'll lose no matter how you slice it. Getting a 10 second head start against him isn't winning.

Meh, I'm tired of you putting the 3.4 down. Just because yours is a piece of shit that isn't reliable doesn't mean they all are. Underpowered?...........Pass the shit your smoking buddy. :lol: 200 hp for a V6 in 1991 is amazing for an N/A engine. Any car that had more power wasn't N/A and certainly wasn't as affordable.

On a side note, I don't care if I win or lose, it's all in good fun. I'd just rather win, I'm expecting to lose, so a win would be nice.

Guest Anonymous

My engine is not a piece, and its not unreliable. i drove it 3 hours one way down the shore every weekend over the summer without one problem. You need to realize that the 3.4 is NOT the fastest thing on the road, you're not going to take an S/C GTP with it. 200hp out of a v6 in the early 90's WAS good, now its mediocre, if not poor. 200HP is not amazing by any means. You really need to get over this engine already.