3.4, love it when you drive it, hate it when you work on it

Crimson Fury Z

Guest TurboSedan

i've found some spark plug sockets SUCK and some fit very nicely over spark plugs. i always start threading in a spark plug with a spark plug socket and and an extension, and thread it in hand tight. then it's time for the ratchet.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Go4DaMo

• 94 olds vert

• gp90se

• GOT2B GM

I've always used spark plug sockets, and just get real pissed off when I don't have one.

I also have a set of Craftsman *locking* socket extensions, that, when used in conjunction with a plug socket, makes the job a BREEZE! A non locking extension leaves the socket stuck on the plug.

Snap On, and Matco also make these locking extensions if you are rich, but the Craftsman ones are like $20 for a set of 3 (different lengths)

• 3 years later...

mine does the cold start crap, but a few seconds over 2k rpm and its good to go. i dread to work on it because of the b.s. i go through each time(gaskets, the damn egr not wanting to go back into place...)and plus, its cold! :lol: need to replace the O2 and cts(coolant temp sensor) still. i will look into the lower intake gasket.

When I start my LQ1, it now revs to 3400 RPM and WON'T drop. It's not driveable. Crazy K suggested the lower intake gasket, as well. But, before I go deep into that project having no experience, is it POSSIBLE that the coolant temp sensor will fix the problem? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

- Sam

I didn't want to repeat the same old "3.4 won't run" post :wink: Ok, that's what Ken thought when I bumped another old Cutlass post. Thanks, Chris. I've never dived into anything beyond bolt-on repairs (brakes, struts, etc.), so I'll grab a book here at my local library. I appreciate your input.

Haha, you ain't kiddin! My mechanic works on it, but would STRONGLY advise me not to buy another LQ1. He hates it, as well.

if you need someone to do the lower intake i will do it for allot cheaper than any shop around here. That goes for anything on your car except like tires and stuff . but to replace the lower intake i would prolly charge u 120 plus parts .

Thanks, man. I'm just going to dive into it, but I'll keep your offer in mind for anything else. I appreciate it! Wish I'd have it with me tomorrow. Usually, it's my fair weather DD.

Thanks, man. I'm just going to dive into it, but I'll keep your offer in mind for anything else. I appreciate it! Wish I'd have it with me tomorrow. Usually, it's my fair weather DD.

i'll have the moo cow cause it is my daily driver . My nice cars are both broke :frown:

Haha, you ain't kiddin! My mechanic works on it, but would STRONGLY advise me not to buy another LQ1. He hates it, as well.

whereas when my engine blew my mom wanted a 3100 swapped in but he talked her into another lq1 im so glad about that

So are LQ1's as capable of super-high mileage like the 3.1's are? My 3.1 quit at 380,000 km's (235,000 miles) so i swapped in another. It seems as though many of the pushrod 3.1's get way up there mileage-wise but the 3.4's generally don't- is that true?

Really eh? I know that there's no way i would've replaced the belt four times over before 380,000km if i had the engine, too much $$$. So other than that it's just as durable as the pre-Dexcool 3.1?