Oilchange from HELL (UPDATE PIX)

sonyman87

While I'm aware that Fram are shitty filters (I use either NAPA or Delco), keep in mind that ALOT of other brands are made by Fram (many of which are used at Oil Lube places...) So while I know they aren't good filters I think it's slightly exaggerated of how they will destroy your engine if you use one. I would rather use a Fram-made filter than use an old dirty filter, FWIW.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crazy K

• AWeb80

• Prospeeder

• sonyman87

AC Delco or Purolater only for me

Fram filters can suffer bleed down because of bad valves or blow out from the pressure going through them (think heavy oil in a cold old engine)

You can hear evidence of bleed down if you engine pings or knocks for a few seconds when you start it, (you will hear the same noise, but longer right after an oil change if your filter was screwed on empty, as your filter has to be refilled before the engine starts to lubricate. I fill my filter with oil when I screw it in.) The drain back valves often leak on fram and result in momentary oil starvation at start up.

If this can happen... WHY RISK IT?!

-ken

possibly. sorry to tell you... Oh saving grace!!! You can change the filter between oil changes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but pre-fill it like i do!

Also lifters may tap if the car has sat for a few days, as the spring of any valve held open would slowly force the oil in the lifter out.

But there is no exuse for running a fram!

- ken

That filter musta been super torqued on there. Did you, or a shop do your last oil change??

i think i was in a hurry the last time and went to walmart.. supplied my own oil and filter. them damn dirty bastards.

the wrench i used looks standard but in a metal construction with 4 holes equaly apart on the top. i put the screws in the 4 holes to ensure a grip. let me find a pic of one similar will post later

[edit]

the cap wrench looks like this. 4 holes at the top

ctOil2.jpg

FWIW, Its better to use shitty oil & filters and change 'em every 3K than to use full synthetic and premium filters at extended intervals. The engine will do better with lots of cheap clean oil.

FWIW, Its better to use shitty oil & filters and change 'em every 3K than to use full synthetic and premium filters at extended intervals. The engine will do better with lots of cheap clean oil.

And where are you getting this info?

Been there done that. except it was with a screwdriver, not screws. And it was on an SL2. Yea, where the filter is above the passenger side axle. At a very awkward angle.

took me fuckin three hours! :cuss:

i dono dave, when i forst got my car the oil would be prety dark when i changed it, anymore it comes out about the same color as it goes in, but a hair darker.

mabie try running some engine cleaner through the oil when you change it next, see where that gets you.

Could you back that up with facts?

Do you guys belive everything you hear or see on the internet or TV? All that article means is that Fram didn't give that guy any money for his experiment when he was testing the oil filters and he got pissed off and gave them a bad rap. It's just like Car and Driver Magazine always giving GM's a good mark over the compition because GM gives the Editors money to help them look the other way and make them sound better. Thats all. I've always used Fram filters just like most of the people on here. Now all of the sudden they see this Dumbass' article and guess what Hmmmmm..They quit buying the filter.

Ohh and oil turns brown because of detonation. YOUR BURNING THE OIL WITH THE SPARK OF THE IGNITION. HEAT, FRICTION the whole reason you have to change your oil.

its not that my engine is a mess and needs crap filtrated out of it, its that i don't want poorly built oil filter parts getting sucked into my oil pump, and besides its cheeper for me to buy a delco filter in the first place, so why should i even bother with fram? and i don't care how many miles whoever has run on whatever car with fram filters.

also for what its worth, the extragaurd fram filters are decent, its namely the orange ones that are trash.

:werd: I used Fram until some wierd looking particles came out one oil change. The first time I used a extra guard...the second time was a regular one. That was enough for me to switch before I started using amsoil products.

Do you guys belive everything you hear or see on the internet or TV? All that article means is that Fram didn't give that guy any money for his experiment when he was testing the oil filters and he got pissed off and gave them a bad rap. It's just like Car and Driver Magazine always giving GM's a good mark over the compition because GM gives the Editors money to help them look the other way and make them sound better. Thats all. I've always used Fram filters just like most of the people on here. Now all of the sudden they see this Dumbass' article and guess what Hmmmmm..They quit buying the filter.

Uh, no, I cut apart a Fram PH3980 filter and it had EXACTLY all the bad traits mentioned in that article. There is absolutely no question that Fram filters are the most cheaply made with the lowest quality, cheapest materials possible. They are probably made in the sweatiest sweat shops in the most remote reaches of China.

That said, I don't agree with people who think Fram filters will detonate an engine. I used Fram religiously for over 100,000 miles on my car and it was fine. However, why continue to use the lowest quality filter possible, when better filters are cheaper? That's just bad economics. Would you buy a Kenrock car stereo if you could get a Kenwood for the same price?

Anyway, that filter is the craziest thing I've ever seen, it made me laugh! :lol: Before I bought my filter tool, I'd just hammer a long skinny flathead screwdriver through the side of the filter and get it off that way. I tried a cap-style filter tool, and it didn't work worth a crap so I returned it. Then I bought one similar to the pic Brian posted. Only difference is the handle part of mine is like Vise-grips so it locks. It works great! I'd highly recommend it. $8 from Harbor Freight.

:werd:

worst case secnario dont use deck screws, grap a flat head screwdriver or a nice long punch and jam it through the side of the filter till it comes out the other side and turn.

Ive only ever had todo that once.

This tool is available at autozone, i thought it was about $6 there, I had to get it to remove a filter bent from the INSTALLATION force!

I bites into the filter for grip.

15501409.jpg

also availible from:

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p22257488?sourceid=3

http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=oil+filter+removal+tool&pid=4834532080216342096&oid=4575214686688190819&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=&addr=&scoring=p&hl=en