Oilchange from HELL (UPDATE PIX)

sonyman87

story if you care to read..

so today my oil is 500miles past due :roll: stupid me. well i figure no problem get to work. get the oil at wallyworld 5quarts 5w30 mobil 1 + 1 extra quart to top it off. get home rest let the motor cool

oilfilter is from autozone STP 3980

time to get to work. its f-ing cold. ohh well no problems.

pull the plug drain the oil everything is smooth. after 5 min drain. i put the plug back to move the pan under the oilfilter. YAY, the fucking wrench keeps slipping. after several attempts to get it to budge i give in and get a screw. 3" drywall screw. so i slap that baby in one of the holes designed in the filter for such a purpous and with the oil oozing out slowly i try to torque it off. SNAP! the screw broke! fuck me. No problem i have 4" deck screws. i get 2 of them and slap them in while i was now covered in oil. Finnaly the wrench moved but, the mother fucking filter didnt move. i was litteraly tearing the top off. i stoped and get a 3rd 4inch screw and put it in again the same resualt. so 4.. FOUR 4" deck screws i put on that thing in 4 different sides. So im drenched in oil in cold ass weather trying to break loose my goddamn oil filter and NOTHING! I got pissed so i grabbed a CHEETTER BAR. now my oilcap is bolted down with 4 - 4" deck screws with a socketwrench hooked onto a cheeterbar. EVEN then it took almost all my strangth to get that bitch to turn. Somthing is definatly wrong. after i moved almost 2 inches around i still had to use the cheeter bar to get it off. once i got 2 revolutions in it came off easy. installed the new filter "Hand tight" then removed the drain plug again to get the access oil out. replaced and put 6quarts in.

my 30min oilchange took about 1.5hours.

FYI. those scres were put all the way in not sticking out like they are in the picture!

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crazy K

• AWeb80

• Prospeeder

• sonyman87

shoulda took it to one of those 30 min or less places and got a free change :lol: . j/k, that really sucks. my friend has a saturn that we couldnt get the oil filter off, after about an hour of struggle she said F-it and just put new oil in it, it being cold and all i didnt try to talk her out of it. at least its done now :)

WOW i usually just use my hand, Fram has the Ultragrip thingies on them, like textured rubber, EASY to get off, just grab witn muh hand, and twist off, and then hand tighten a new one on! No problems, no sliping, you use a wrench on ur oil filter? By the sound of it, some1 torqued it down WAY to much! They just dont get stuck do they!

Thanks, I just got my laugh for the night! :lol: :lol:

I used to just take a screwdriver and stick it through there.

Word. I hate going to a Quik Lube because they always put them on too tight.

WOW i usually just use my hand, Fram has the Ultragrip thingies on them, like textured rubber, EASY to get off, just grab witn muh hand, and twist off, and then hand tighten a new one on! No problems, no sliping, you use a wrench on ur oil filter? By the sound of it, some1 torqued it down WAY to much! They just dont get stuck do they!

PLEASE don't tell me you use fram filters..

We don't "think" they're horrible, they've been PROVEN to be horrible. The filters blow asshole, and you're being purely ignorant if you believe that we just have some sort of beef with Fram. But oh well. Keep on running them. I always have room for a nice TGP shell around here.

Why would you use SCREWS to take the filter off?? :lol:

I'd go straight for a chisel/screwdriver and hammer if the filter wrench doesn't work..

I've done my own oil for like the last 5 years though, so it's rarely ever hard to get them off. Once it's snug another 2/3 turn to make it tight. Don't wanna be leaking oil..

The same tool linked is availible at autozone, i thought it was about $6, I had to get it to remove the filter on my freshly purchased 91 CS conv. The owner had used a wrench to tighten it, and it was bent from the INSTALLATION force!

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p22257488?sourceid=3

http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=oil+filter+removal+tool&pid=4834532080216342096&oid=4575214686688190819&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=&addr=&scoring=p&hl=en

buy one and same it for a rainy day lol :lol:

All these people that hate Fram, wow... :roll: We ran our 2.8 Beretta for 212,000 miles, 3,000 mile oil changes, ALL fram, and never had any problems with it, it ran just fine when we pulled it out plus every car we own......and well, quite frankly, if your engine is requiring that much stuff/if any to be filtered out in the first place...you have bigger problems to worry about than your oil filter. :shock:

All these people that hate Fram, wow... :roll: We ran our 2.8 Beretta for 212,000 miles, 3,000 mile oil changes, ALL fram, and never had any problems with it, it ran just fine when we pulled it out plus every car we own......and well, quite frankly, if your engine is requiring that much stuff/if any to be filtered out in the first place...you have bigger problems to worry about than your oil filter. :shock:

i always think that too, WHERE is all this dirt coming from?? I mean, mabye a sand particle here and there from the oil change or from the breather, but where else would it come from? even if it did leak a little dirty oil, it would fly right through the engine in no time and hit the filter again and be trapped, unless its a steady leak, wich i doubt it would be, prolly just spuratic things

its not that my engine is a mess and needs crap filtrated out of it, its that i don't want poorly built oil filter parts getting sucked into my oil pump, and besides its cheeper for me to buy a delco filter in the first place, so why should i even bother with fram? and i don't care how many miles whoever has run on whatever car with fram filters.

also for what its worth, the extragaurd fram filters are decent, its namely the orange ones that are trash.

The Fram x2's in the hermatically sealed can are right up there with PureOne filters. As Chris said, the plain orange ones are absolutely horrible. Who gives a shit if you ran a Fram filter for 50,000,000 miles and nothing happened? You could also play chicken with a train 100 times, and on the 101th time, you might slip and get smashed by thousands of tons of iron. Same goes for the Fram filters. One day you just might get that anti-drainback valve failure and wind up with filter element and all kinds of metal shavings, dirt and debris in your crankcase. Beautiful..