1994 Grand Prix lacks power

gimp19

Today I was driving my sisters Grand Prix, in a 55 going about 45 behind a cargo van with a car infront of it. When the car that was infront of the cargo van turned the van accelerated to about 65-70. I had the gas down about 3/4 just to keep at 45 so, I had to floor it to go any faster and it took the car about 20-30 seconds to get up to 55. Even after I got up to 55 I still had the pedal floored and the van went from right in head of me to about 600ft away. Her car only has 89,000 miles on it and fresh oil and tranny fluid, the tranny shifts fine and the engine sounds pretty good but it drives like the brakes are always on but I know they are not. When she got the oil changed they said it needed a PCV valve and a new serpintine belt. Could one or both of these be causing the problem?

Sorry for my poorly written story thanks in advance.

engine sounds pretty good but it drives like the brakes are always on but I know they are not.

Well, if you know that the brakes are not the problem... somethings blocking engine exhaust flow. Perhaps a new cat is needed: shake it around to hear if there's anything lose... you could have you piping blocked by a dislodged piece from the convertor.

A PCV doesn't do much for acceleration, but check it anyway. Wouldn't hurt... but the serpentine belt would not be causing this problem. The serp belt only runs accessory pulleys (p/s, AC, water pump, etc.)

- RedFox340

Yeah its gotta be an exhaust problem... Robby's right, check the cat. conv. By the way, change that belt while your at it. You don't want that thing to crap out when you on the highway somewhere, you'll be on the side of the road.

I dont know why the cat. never crossed my mind but it does seem very likely that its causing the problem. She still has a waranty so she should be able to get the belt and cat. done free of charge her rotors are also shitting out :roll: but I guess thats to be expected.