hit a deer doing 60...

futuretgper

Why not pay extra to have the whole car repainted? With that kind of mileage, you almost owe it to the car. A complete professional repaint would be much better than trying to blend to match 15 year old paint.

good new just came in.....they valued my car at 7300$....so ill get everything fixed up very proper from an extremely reputable shop!! thank god!! back in business......jeff m if you want to PM me your phone number it sounds like im gonna be looking for some of the hard to find cosmetic stuff the body shop says i might need to go for used stuff then i told them about you having a bunch of the stuff and they said they might want to buy from you for my car!! unless it would be better for me to buy from you myself and bring it in (dont thnk i would need to though)!! anyway im really excited now!! gonna have it back in shape.....only thing im worried about is the paint mathcing up...they have to blend it into the doors and such...while its in im gonna have them do a professional buff job on along the bottoms of the doors and such too! so it looks like im getting an entirely new front end....everything except 1 fender flair!!

Welllll' date=' that [u']is[/u] some good news :D It sounded like you had a good insurance company working with you aside from your conections there. And the price is right in the ballpark for a low mileage limite production car 8) So lets get to it!!

I will PM you here with my phone number! Also do listen to the guys here as I am going to say the same thing, blending paint into an area is not always the best idea, and repainting the extra panel is not that much effort, AS LONG AS the rubber trim/molding and such things are removed!!!(even is they went with blending)...I cannot stress this enough, I am an old guy who has seen way too many great paint jobs that a year or two down the road started to lift/peal at the places where they laid the masking tape/around moldings etc, BAD IDEA, its not a big thing at all to get the damn molding off and not have this problem down the road, and any good body shop would rather do you right now then have to lose money later on a warranty job fixing the problem :idea: :!: And to elaborate, there is a build-up of wax in the cranks at the molding and new paint will NOT stick there not matter how hard they work to clean that area, they cannot since there is something/molding in the way, let along try to sand into that area :roll: so molding must be taken off, then mask, then no worries, and just do it :lol: .

I will have some more tips in my next PM but for now will just get you the one with my phone number. I got some work I got to get done here, and will need time to consider the details to make sure you get from me so this baby is done right :twisted:

Also, other than a fender or door (have a local friend with some fenders) I might be the only one with the complete aero kits, so we can do you right there and not have you getting some used shit that has been sitting outside in the sun for 15 years getting deforming and wavy as they do :evil: , you don't know this as yours is too new/garage baby to show these signs much (but you did mention once about an aero piece?), but I know as do others what I am talking about :wink: so lets do this right, that car is worth it and looks like others agree 8)

Jeff M

thanks yeah im not worried about the quality of the workmanship.....this company is top-of-the-line from what ive heard (car guys talking them up)!! and i dont want to blend if i don't have too...but if i get the doors repainted then they won't match the back then ill want that blended!! so what do you do about that??

anyway ill probably call you in a tommoro jeff...thanks for offering the help!!

So.. do you care to tell me how you got it appraised at that much? Was it because of your mother, or was it because they found it as a collectable car? I'm just curious, because I was stiffed by that same insurance company when I had them appraise my hail damage. I believe, if my memory serves me correct, they appraised mine at $2300, and was then charged a ridiculious $900 buy back charge, after which I walked away with an amount of cash I couldn't do jack shit with. (This still irritates me)

thanks yeah im not worried about the quality of the workmanship.....this company is top-of-the-line from what ive heard (car guys talking them up)!! and i dont want to blend if i don't have too...but if i get the doors repainted then they won't match the back then ill want that blended!! so what do you do about that??

anyway ill probably call you in a tommoro jeff...thanks for offering the help!!

No I am not trying to make you worry :lol: , quality work or not, the points I made still stand :!: :!: . And the points I made do not mean I think your shop or any shop is bad or would try to screw you or skip doing this approach to the work, its just something you need to talk to them about just like you wanting to make sure they match up the red (and how they do it). And "talking with them" about other things like I mentioned :read: that you still need to do, it won't bother or offend them :wink: just ask if they would make sure to remove any molding at areas they are going to paint, and such things as removing the side markers instead of masking around them, they might already do this but do you want to find out later that they don't :?: :wink: ! Its stuff like this that I know very well and have seen over and over that can happen even with a high dollar paint job with great workers with much care in their work, I would just like to make sure you get a good, well thought out repair job, and talking to them now will make sure you are not surprised later.

Jeff M

just do the whole car again...

and thats awesome how you're gonna get to restore your baby...i'd feel the same way if that happened with my car(even if it's a lowly lumina)

and yowza on the insurance quote!!

So.. do you care to tell me how you got it appraised at that much? Was it because of your mother, or was it because they found it as a collectable car? I'm just curious, because I was stiffed by that same insurance company when I had them appraise my hail damage. I believe, if my memory serves me correct, they appraised mine at $2300, and was then charged a ridiculious $900 buy back charge, after which I walked away with an amount of cash I couldn't do jack shit with. (This still irritates me)

nah my mom really couldnt do anything about it...it went right to the managers after they said it was totaled the first time......they tooks pics and wrote down notes and sent it to a dealership or somthing that they deal with and they dealership said they would sell if for 8300 in its previous condition!! then i printed out some carsoup.com and autotrader cars that were selling for 5800 and 7500 with 75 and 60k on them so my mom told me the guy that was working with my claim and the garage guys that looked at my car did an average of the three and adjusted alittle!!!

Ok, that's what they did with mine too. They just found a few TGPs' on autotrader, and averaged the prices together.

Ah well, glad to hear things worked out in your favor, and that you are getting it fixed.

If I were you, I'd try to have the whole car repainted with a base/clear. But I guess it depends on how much they are going to give you for the damage, and how much it will cost for parts and such. Hell, if you can, I'd find used parts if the shop is willing to work with you on saving money to afford a full paint job. I'm a cheap ass though, and don't like paying the high prices for parts on these cars. (I about had a heart attack when I found out the price for a new GM TGP hood).

yeah the guy at this shop said a rough estimate would be 5k for the rest of the car to be repainted "the right way"!! so i don't know what im gonna do....i really do want an all new paint job though....but i dont think itll work out!! i wonder what they would charge me if I took the car apart and brought them the peices to sand and paint.....save a bunch on labor im sure!!

That's what I did when my Lumina was hail damaged. I removed all the trim pieces, spoiler, vents, etc on the exterior and then put them back on when they were finished with the car. Just doing that saved me about $300 in labor, which was worth it at the time.

The hoods are still available from GM but they are definetely a pretty penny, IIRC correctly list price is $1500 so take that right off the top of that $7300 unless you tell them to get a used one!! I would just in hopes of getting the whole thing repainted :mrgreen: