Crummy charging system?

Pyle

OK, got my system cranked in my 99 grand prix. I have a Fosgate 800A2 pushing 2- JL 12W6's. If I have it cranked, my performance is seriously lagging. The car will hesitate before it goes. Also the lights dim... bad. I dont have a cap on it, although I have one, figure that out. I dont even know how big I would have to go to solve the problem, 2nd batt maybe. I can also only play the radio for about 20 mins before the batt is dead, even when it is not loud. Any suggestions? Upgrade batt, add second, upgrade alt?

First and foremost, don't play the radio that loud unless you are driving at a constant speed. At low engine speeds, the engine doesn't move fast enough to get the alt. spinning fast enough to charge it.

Second, and nice Optima Red Top would be nice.

Third, with that big of an amp, i'd definately consider upgrading your alternator to a higher output one.

Capacitor's are ways of getting around upgrading your electrical system, IMO of course. Others will say otherwise.

Ever think of doing the big 3 upgrade?

What he said

Also - they have high-drain batteries designed for amps and stuff. IMHO a 2nd battery would weigh too much and I don't think it has the peformance to rapidly charge/discharge/charge in which a way that a sonund system will run it...

But get a bigger/better alt - that should of been #1. With my 5.0 and 300wx6 it drains the battery when i get a heavy bass note...

The one you want to upgrade to is the cs 130-D alternator.

165 amps RMS. no problem sitting at an idle and cranking it up full blast.

You can squeeze more amps out of a CS130 if you put bigger charge wire on it and redo your grounds. But make sure to take off the factory charge wire for it to work right. and don't expect it to charge at idle .. or for long without overheating.

To upgrade takes a little machine work on the alt chassis. and it is worth the time and money once you see,hear,feel the results.

You can squeeze more amps out of a CS130 if you put bigger charge wire on it and redo your grounds. But make sure to take off the factory charge wire for it to work right.

Charge wire? What do you mean by this?

That is the one on the stud. On the cs-130 it can easily ground out or arc over to the chassis, thats why the cs-130-d is plastic right there and non-conductive.

I would wireloom the starter fusible links first or at least verify they are not greasy and rubbing on the starter. That can fry your new alt too.

But the main reason you don't use the factory charge wire is because it splits your charge signal if you run two. Try it if you want. It won't work right when you turn the volume up. the battery will shit out on you.

The factory charge wire goes to the starter I think.

But when you upgrade your charge wire, you take 4 gauge red amp wire with gold plated ring terminals crimped, soldered, loomed, and run it to the aux. post.

I know. Will the car still start? Yes it will. :wink:

What does that drawing supposed to mean anyway? out of curiosity.

Celibacy now in the first grade? :lol:

Like I said after I edited it up there, if it is similar to my setup. There may still be safeguards built in to the fact. harness. but fusible links are all that is connected to the aux. post if you look at it. so you should be alright.

• 2 weeks later...

Your battery may be bad, how old is it? If the battery is crap anyways you might as well replace it, but I doubt that will solve your problem. You will most likely need a H/O alternator. Do not use a cap, or a second batt. both of these will just put more of a strain on your alt. Dont try and get the stock alt rebuilt. get a aftermarket H/O alt. Things like a second battery and bigger gauge wiring for power and ground will help, but not untill you get a bigger alt.

The power caps do use some power to run them, but at the same time, you aren't drawing spikey power out of the battery. The theory is that they will draw a more even load off the alt. so it is less confused and just keeps cranking alot of power.

What would you do if you were getting blood drawn and they just kept jerking the syringe around? :) Would you be happy? :P