'94 GP SE Head Gasket

Rocketman

Hi all, I'm new here. I am going to purchase a 94 grand prix SE for a new daily driver. From my searching I'm assuming it has the 3100 engine in it. It has 162k on it.

It supposedly has a blown head gasket, although after much more research it may be the lower intake gasket.

Regardless I am going to go ahead and replace the head gaskets anyway because of the mileage.

I already ordered and recieved a fel-pro gasket set. It didnt include the intake gaskets, or pushrod grommets. I also see I should get a set of head bolts.

Is there anything else I should get?

Also, am I going to be cursing this car out trying to do a gasket job on it? Is it hard to do? I have ripped apart engines before but never put one back together, (nor were they V6's) I am pretty well mechanically inclined.

Are there any things I should look out for? Any tips/tricks?

Thanks in advance, hopefully soon enough I can be cruising around.

-Rocketman

I can't give advice, I don't have that engine. All I know is, when said and done, what you learn you will need to do at least once again in the cars life. 3100's are bad for intake gaskets and head gaskets.

I can't give advice, I don't have that engine. All I know is, when said and done, what you learn you will need to do at least once again in the cars life. 3100's are bad for intake gaskets and head gaskets.

Once you do it once, you should be fine. The engine itself wasn't the problem, it was the shitty gaskets GM originally used.

Once you do it once, you should be fine. The engine itself wasn't the problem, it was the shitty gaskets GM originally used.

exactly, once you replace the shitty GM originals your intake gaskets should be fine....

The head gasket shouldn't be too difficult either, just a little time consuming. The 3100 is a pretty simple engine to work on, for the most part

• 2 weeks later...

Allright guys, I did purchase the GP. I started to tear down the engine today but ran out of daylight :x

I'm having a problem finding the proper Haynes manual for this car...I only found one for full-sized pontiacs in this year but it didnt explain a head gasket very well...

Does anyone have a book # or something I can order? I'd appreciate it.

Ps. sorry for bringing this thread back up, didnt think it warranted a new thread

3100's are bad for intake gaskets and head gaskets.

intake gaskets yes, head gaskets no

yea seriously. Chad you're an idiot...you talk about things you don't know about. For instance racing...and engines! It would have been better had you not posted misinformation. (Don't want to take this subject off topic)

My understanding is that replacing the intake gaskets is not a terribly complicated procedure. This is especially so if you have done any engine work before on GM vehicles. I'll let you know how mine turn out because I've gotta do it before winter hits here.