electrical help ???

1997cutlass

some one over @n-body.net sent me here to try to get answers. any help or direction is appreciated.

the dash lights and the fog lights on my 97 cutlass dont work and my service vehicle soon light is on. i got the car for free when my cousin went to iraq. when he installed his cd player he spliced the wires instead of buying a harness. he put the original plug and radio back in but as i stated in the begining stuff dont work right. all the fuses are good. i was wondering if the drl modual had some thing to do with it.. HELP PLEASE>>>>

i reinstalled stock plug and bought adapter to put in cd player.cd player works but still no go on the problems. i have a couple wires left over on the plug.1amp ground.1amp power.1 dash illumination. may be a couple others i cant remember please help please

Well.. To pull the codes you are going to need a OBDII code scanner. If you have an Autozone near you, go there they will scan the car for free. AS for the dash lights, sounds like the guy that had the car had fun cutting wires. If you put the same stock plug back, there should be no left over wires. I know when I put an aftermarket radio in my old 79 monte carlo my dash lights never worked, untill I found 2 bare wires up in the dash. I tapped them off and they worked again.