Front Strut - stripped out the...FIXED!

dave31

I'm replacing my FRONT STRUT cartridges on a 92 Lumina Euro.

The problem I'm stuck on is that the internal torx at the top of the shaft is stripped. It's basically a round hole. I need to get the shaft nut off though...so what can I do to hold the shaft in place so I can spin off the big nut?

Do you think just cutting two vertical slices through each side of the nut would work? The new cartridges came with this nut so i dont care I if destroy the old one.

I have small cut-off wheels and a dremel that would do it...

Any other suggestions? I want to be able to re-use the big rubber bushing/bumper, so I guess i'll have to cut carefully.

Any other ways to go about this? Thanks in advance.

Dave

Dremel out a groove in the top of the shaft so you can jam a flat-head screwdriver in there to hold the shaft in place. If that doesn't work, then try and cut the nut off. You might end up having to replace the rubber mount 'cause there isn't too much room to get in there with a Dremel without cutting up the mount...

Impact wrench should take it off.

I have a 12V impact wrench I bought from Harbor Freight for $20. It does a great job with that kind of stuff. It's slow, but faster than manual labor.

Bolt cutter should be able 2 cut the bolt off.

I'd say if this would be easier to do than working with a dremel. If you haven't done it yet, go with the bolt cutter.

I use a vice-grip on the shaft of the old strut to hold it steady when hittin' it with the impact.

--Dave.

this guy knows it! I do the exact same thing when removing old struts

I don't have an impact...but I might be able to borrow one.

This might sound dumb, but how would I get vice grips in there?

Can I pull down the boot thats in the fender-well to get vice grips on the shaft?

thanks

I doubt it'll work... In order for pliers or anything like that to work, it has to be able to dig into whatever it is you're trying to grab... I don't see that happening very easily on a strut... but you can sure try...

Mike

I pulled up the rubber bushing and can see the shiny strut rod...

Vice-grips didnt grab onto it at all...way to smooth of a surface.

I can't get any power out to where the car is sitting, so I have to pick up a cordless dremel & start cutting. If I screw up the bushing, oh well. I'll just have to be careful...or get another one.

BTW: I bought a NEW torx bit and did the other sides' front strut in 10 min.

The original torx I used that came w/ the W-body strut kit was bent...so it wasnt seating down in there...which is why I stripped out the dern thing in first place.

:bash: Yep, I'm kicking myself now. Lesson learned i guess.

Thanks for the help though. I'm glad I stumbled across this site...never knew there was such a following on these cars.

Later

if its an internal torx than you could try slotting the nut to make way for a flathead driver. but if theres not much to work with. I know it dosent sound like a big deal but are you using REAL VISEGRIPS? I didnt believe it before, but non brand VISEGRIPS just dont bite like the real thing. with a good set of VISEGRIPS you could grab the shaft and have two people hang on to it and that sucker would hold no problem.

but if theres not much to work with. I know it dosent sound like a big deal but are you using REAL VISEGRIPS? I didnt believe it before, but non brand VISEGRIPS just dont bite like the real thing. with a good set of VISEGRIPS you could grab the shaft and have two people hang on to it and that sucker would hold no problem.

Go look at the strut rod, no way its gunna grip inless ya manage 2 crush it, sorry.

but if theres not much to work with. I know it dosent sound like a big deal but are you using REAL VISEGRIPS? I didnt believe it before, but non brand VISEGRIPS just dont bite like the real thing. with a good set of VISEGRIPS you could grab the shaft and have two people hang on to it and that sucker would hold no problem.

Go look at the strut rod, no way its gunna grip inless ya manage 2 crush it, sorry.

you don't need to "grip and crush" it if you're using an impact gun. It will move a small bit but the nut will spin off. Now trying to manually remove it, yes the vise grips aren't going to help much.

Here's what I did: 130 ft. of extension cord and some cut-off wheels...

took a razor and cut away 4 sections of the upper half of the big bushing. Then I cut the nut on 2 sides and drove it apart with a long bolt and a big heavy mallet. With the nut off I could finish the project. I used black silicone adhesive (permatex i think) and glued the bushing back togather.

I had to cut the bushing to be able to cut the nut off, w/ the way it sets in there.

Since the bushing just fills up space in that housing, I don't see why it wont hurt anything. (saved me from buying a new $40 bushing too)

I used the new nuts, but I had to put spacers under them otherwise there was a bit of play.

I'm no longer driving a water-melon :D it handles great now, and it was worth the effort.

Thanks for the replies, dave