High oil pressure, how much is too much???

dbtk2

A few months ago I had to replace the gasket on the oil filter adapter on my dads TGP. So I took it all off and when I put it back on the oil pressure went up like 20psi+. I took crap out that looked like a gasket and put a new gasket in but maybe it was supposed to restrict flow??? Anyways, the car at idle when fully warm will go down to about 35psi or so like it did before (according to stock gauge) but if you rev it up at all the pressure will go up to 60+, and when cruising down the road with rpms up above 1800 or so the oil pressure will climb and peg the gauge, it gets to about where 100psi would be if the gauge kept going and then it quickly drops to like 40psi and then goes back up to about 70psi within a second or two and then slowly reaches 100 again and does it over and over, until you slow down to a stop where it will drop down to about 35 or so.

Is there an oil pressure release in there that is causing it to drop like that, and if so what is the pressure it drops at (I don't want to trust the stock gauge).

Before it started doing this it always acted identical to my STE and the Lumina, it would idle with about 30-40psi and then crusing down the freeway it would run like 65psi or so, and around town if just crusing somewhere in between. But now it constantly runs 80+psi. I thought originally that maybe it was the sending unit but it doesn't seem like the pressure would drop down to 35psi or so if that was the case.

Also, wouldn't it be harder on the engine after a certain amount of oil pressure. There has to be a point where its too much and it just wears things out quicker. The car has 138k on it, I really don't want high oil pressure to wear the engine out quicker.

Any ideas on how I can get the oil pressure back down to where it was, and whats your opinions on too much oil pressure???

Thanks,

Shawn

• 3 weeks later...