car is running like crap *FIXED*

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan
A) I told him to gap them small, I actually suggest .040" I was getting some blow out at .040 so Sunshine is gapped at .035" That seemed to help, but this was when I was running 15-16 psi on occasion.

2) Josh, ditch the EGR, especially for some damn $124. 1 Weld and a few 1's and 0's swapped, and that's that.

III) I don't have anything else to say, but wanted to add roman numerals to my numbering system... How do you like it? :D

your numbering system or the car? :lol:

just took it for its first real drive actually. runs damn good! i wish i could just raise the boost though :? it's way faster than it ever was no doubt about it, but definately not to the point i would try racing any other cars just yet. it's wierd driving the car and taking off from a complete stop normally, then punch the gas at 10mph and the tires light up. it sure as hell wouldn't have done that before. only funny thing i noticed is that the speedo used to read about 11% too fast with the '88 Getrag 282 and the NA 3.1/5-speed chip. now with the '89 Getrag 282 in the car and the turbo chip it reads about 24% too slow. the speedometer reads 57mph when i'm cruising an actual 75mph. other then that it's great!

i was also once again reminded that rear coilovers SUCK. i did a U-turn and one of the rear coils became unseated causing horrible clanking noises. i need to look into a Birchmount rear leaf and get rid of these stupid things.

Josh, I don't know how much this helps or not, but when I had the TG160 chipped auto car running W/G boost, I slowly walked a V8 Grand Cherokee. I was on the way to the strip and got next to it, the light turned green and "mom" decided she wasn't going to let me in front of her. I had 1 length by about 45 or so. I was pissed because I knew what was wrong, and usually I'd have annihilated that turd. Stupid w/g solenoid. :lol:

Guest TurboSedan

yeah, i have to admit i'm partial to grainger valve MBCs becuase it works so damn good on my GTS. the g-valve simplified things and made it spool wayyyyy quicker. i'm fighting the urge to steal the g-valve from the GTS and put it on the Cutlass. i need to get those gauges in ASAP.

btw, where is BFC set on this chip?

BFC is set at 14.5 IIRC, but you can feather it to hold higher. I was having a problem w/ the sol. and was getting some nasty overboost, but found if I feathered it about 15 psi it'd hold and not slam your head into the steering wheel (Man, that shit sucks BTW) It's almost as bad as if you've ever had a charge pipe blow off at full boost. I almost bloodied my nose that time.

• 1 month later...
Guest TurboSedan
Josh

i got mine from a 1989 2.8 MPFI GP i saw at the yard.....you will have to pull/cut the heat sheild off of it to see if its cracked or not.

just a follow up. i finally pulled the EGR off today and sure enough there is a big ass hole in the metal tube near the EGR valve, as well as several other cracks i could see and i haven't even taken the heat shield off yet (and i'm not going to bother now anyways :lol: ). i am going hunting in the salvage yard on Tuesday; i will be sure to bring my battery powered Wizard tool with cutoff wheels so i can remove the heat shield and inspect the tube for cracks before i shell out money for another bad one.

thanks again Dave

Guest TurboSedan

cool :)

after i get the 3-wire O2 and the EGR fixed i'm going to crank up the MBC one more turn until i get gauges. spark plugs look absolutely perfect so far but it seems like the top end of 2nd or 3rd gear it will start to miss (feels like i hit a big puddle of water or hit the speed limiter) so i'm going to gap the plugs down to .040". my goal is 10-11psi with stock TGP T25 turbo and intercooler but i would like to incorporated an alcohol injection system with a single SAAB cold start injector and/or an intercooler sprayer or even a better FMIC. as we all know turbo upgrades are so expensive wether it be a Disco Potato or a T3/T04E 50 trim. and i LOVE how this little turbo spools so damn fast, so more reason to make the most of it i guess.

also, 2-stage boost controller is a MUST, as 1st gear is becoming more and more useless as i raise boost.

also, 2-stage boost controller is a MUST, as 1st gear is becoming more and more useless as i raise boost.

Isn't it though?

I surprised myself this summer at the track with it. One of my runs I must have launched it just right, because the wheels didn't spin, and it just pinned my ass to the seat, but the run ended up shitty because I had to back off the throttle to keep the clutch from slipping. That was the first time I think I have ever launched the car like that and NOT had the wheels spin out of control. It was pretty fun! 8)

Another good thing for you is Kenny getting his TGP back sometime in the near future, so at least you'll have another 5-speed tgp even closer to you.

are u talking about a two stage boost controller that switches to a higher boost once you get into second gear?? how does that work??? only in an electronic boost controller!?!?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TurboSedan
Josh

i got mine from a 1989 2.8 MPFI GP i saw at the yard.....you will have to pull/cut the heat sheild off of it to see if its cracked or not.

you need the one that screws onto the crossover and bolts (with 2 bolts) to the upper intake.

there from the age of the Vac EGR's not the digital ones.

Dave you were right. i got an EGR pipe from an '88 Beretta with a 2.8/5-speed today and it does fit. although, it is longer than the TGP EGR pipe so i had to sort of bend the pipe into a U-shape so it would fit. the pipe kind of curves over below the throttle body and then back down to the crossover fitting. it was sort of a pita but it works great. i didn't cut the heat shielding off, i simply capped one end of the pipe with my thumb and blew through it. did not leak at all and that was good enough for me. man it really helped quiet my car down! it seems to spool a little faster as well.

thanks again

Guest TurboSedan

so far it seems like EGR is indeed disabled. i accidentally drove the car home tonight without the EGR plugged in (i was in a hurry :oops: ) and no SES light ever came on and i am not getting any codes.