car is running like crap *FIXED*

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

well today i installed a new alternator, and then brought the car down to the exhaust shop so they could weld up the TGP downpipe to the rest of the car's exhaust system.

the car is running pretty crappy. the main symptom is that it sorta 'chugs' when revving it and it seems low on power. the car doesn't idle very smooth either. the car is quicker than it was when it was NA, but something is definately wrong. i looked around a little and discovered a good size exhaust leak coming from the EGR tube. also, i tested the O2 sensor and it is not really doing anything; just hanging around .45v. i tested it after i took the car for a short drive, so it was all warmed up and should have been in closed loop. would the exhaust leak and bad O2 sensor make the car hesitate when revving and cause rough idle? i'm not getting an SES light or any codes at all, which seems a little wierd to me. i've only checked the front 3 plugs so far - #2 looked rich but #4 & #6 looked great. i will check the rear 3 plugs tomarrow. i'm a little suspicious of the coilpack for #2 & #5. the way the car is running seems like it has an ignition problem somewhere.

does anyone know if i can get a new TGP EGR tube from the GM dealership (or anywhere else)? or should i just get rid of it and put a block off plate on the plenum and have the EGR bung welded shut on the crossover pipe?

Jay - is the EGR disabled in this chip? also curious where/how you set the intercooler fan to come on, as it turns on very early (like about a minute after i start the car when completely cold) and likes to stay on just about all the time. car is not running too warm at all...temp is perfect according to the gauge in the car even though outside temp has been in the high '90s all week.

No EGR is enabled, and I'll have to check on the I/C fan setpoints, but I never had that problem. I believe the fan is set to come on when it's moving less than 30 mph though (don't quote me on that, it's been awhile) If Davie chimes in, the set points should be the same, maybe he can check (I need to re-install GMPCM)

exaust leaks cause hella large problems with driveability...sounds like the o2 sensor is junk or getting improper readings because of the exaust leak

exaust leaks cause hella large problems with driveability...sounds like the o2 sensor is junk or getting improper readings because of the exaust leak

ditto. Fix the exhaust leak and replace the 02 sensor and I'd bet it'll run a lot better.

Shawn

Guest TurboSedan

thanks for the replies. i'm going to run to the dealership and see if that EGR tube is avaiable. i want to get that fixed before i put a new O2 sensor in.

Guest TurboSedan

well i'm going to have to wait till Monday to get to the dealership since they are closed for the weekend.

i checked the rear plugs and they all look great. every plug looks great except #2, which is pretty much totally black. i put the timing light on it and it's flashing just like it does on cylinders #4 and #6.

the exhaust leak from the EGR pipe is BIG though! i can put my fingers near the pipe and feel all of the exhaust gas hitting my finger. it's pretty loud too; now that the rest of the exhaust system is quiet the leak from the EGR pipe is very audibly noticeable. i just hope i can get a new EGR pipe from GM :? hopefully i can get that and a new O2 sensor on Monday.

Guest TurboSedan

ok, ran the engine a little bit to get it warm (not hot) for a compression test. found out the compression tester was broken, BUT i found that spark plug #2 was wet with fuel. i really think this is the reason it is running the way it is. it just sounds as if it is running on 5 cylinders and this proves it. i swapped another plug wire on but that didn't do anything. i don't think it's the coilpack because the #5 spark plug looked perfectly fine. so, i guess i'll try putting a new R42LTS plug in there and see what happens. who knows, maybe i accidentally cracked it slightly from tightening or removing them. it's happened before :roll:

obviously i need to fix the exhaust leak and O2 sensor, but i don't think that is the reason it is chugging and hesitating like it is.

Guest TurboSedan

FIXED :D

sure enough it was the spark plug. i pulled it out and closesly inspected it and found a hairline crack all the way around the porcelain.

got another R24LTS and gapped it to .045. this car runs TITS!! :D :D i can't believe how fast this thing is!! woohoo!!! just the thought of installing the MBC and setting it to 10psi...oh my gawd this car is going to murder my GTS.

sure enough it was the spark plug. i pulled it out and closesly inspected it and found a hairline crack all the way around the porcelain.

I've done that before. Took me a while to find.

Glad to hear it's running good though!

got another R24LTS and gapped it to .045. this car runs TITS!! :D :D i can't believe how fast this thing is!! woohoo!!! just the thought of installing the MBC and setting it to 10psi...oh my gawd this car is going to murder my GTS.

SWEEEET!!! :D Nice diagnostics 8) I did this once too, could hear it snapping when I got my ear close to the area. Hey, if you are chip'd/TopGun then better re-read the Fix-All Packet :) when running 10 psi or a little more, the .045" gap will blow out and backfire/scarey at first :shock: , need to drop that down to .040" is all 8) , never had a complaint after this even when running 100 octane and higher than 12 psi (in cold weather!!).

Later, glad to hear the score, does feels so much better when you can let out all the horses to play :peace:

Jeff M

Guest TurboSedan

SWEEEET!!! :D Nice diagnostics 8) I did this once too, could hear it snapping when I got my ear close to the area. Hey, if you are chip'd/TopGun then better re-read the Fix-All Packet :) when running 10 psi or a little more, the .045" gap will blow out and backfire/scarey at first :shock: , need to drop that down to .040" is all 8) , never had a complaint after this even when running 100 octane and higher than 12 psi (in cold weather!!).

Later, glad to hear the score, does feels so much better when you can let out all the horses to play :peace:

Jeff M

actually don't have the TG chip; this is one Jay burnt for me for use with the 5-speed. i traded him a bunch of TGP engine parts for it awhile back. good to know about gapping the plugs down to .040 though, thanks for the tip :)

i will get a vid very soon, but the car is still running an assumed 4-5psi. my "boost controller" for now is simply a vacuum hose straight from the fitting on the compressor outlet to the wastegate can. still, i can't believe what 4-5psi does to a 3.1 MPFI engine, as this thing is a whole lot quicker than it used to be! i was driving it today after i replaced the spark plug and i had a huge smile on my face the whole time :D it's going to be a little while before i install the grainger valve MBC and raise the boost to 10psi. i'm going to experiment with the stock TGP wastegate solenoid too as i have two of them stored in my garage. i don't dare raise boost without a boost and A/F gauge installed. of course, i still have a few other little problems to address like the EGR pipe and O2 sensor. and i still need to get my tags & registration renewed which is another $90. i am happy as can be with the car right now...all of that hard work and $$$ i've put into the car since this project started last September is finally paying off.

actually don't have the TG chip; this is one Jay burnt for me for use with the 5-speed. i traded him a bunch of TGP engine parts for it awhile back. good to know about gapping the plugs down to .040 though, thanks for the tip :)

Sure glad to help 8) ....Jay :roll: details man :lol:

"i will get a vid very soon, but the car is still running an assumed 4-5psi. my "boost controller" for now is simply a vacuum hose straight from the fitting on the compressor outlet to the wastegate can. still, i can't believe what 4-5psi does to a 3.1 MPFI engine, as this thing is a whole lot quicker than it used to be! i was driving it today after i replaced the spark plug and i had a huge smile on my face the whole time :D it's going to be a little while before i install the grainger valve MBC and raise the boost to 10psi. i'm going to experiment with the stock TGP wastegate solenoid too as i have two of them stored in my garage. i don't dare raise boost without a boost and A/F gauge installed. of course, i still have a few other little problems to address like the EGR pipe and O2 sensor. and i still need to get my tags & registration renewed which is another $90. i am happy as can be with the car right now...all of that hard work and $$$ i've put into the car since this project started last September is finally paying off.

YES, do follow up on the EGR Tube!!...not sure where it is leaking at but 2 owners I know had the exhaust leaking melt their vacuum lines, one the vacuum line to the MAP/FPR and it went blind :shock: which not only had his ECM blind of the boost (chip not fueling and timing as it should with boost) but the FPR also did not know of the boost so the fuel pressure was not raised, not good. Part number 12397882 and if a newer part number does not come up with that number at the dealer, then they are discontinued!...and since this was the case a few years back for me on some other parts I was getting for me and others, is why I spent 3 months and quite a few bucks to investigate, buy and set up a large inventory of TGP/TSTE parts. So my records show retail of $154 on these and 15 in stock here :) sell for $124. I have a few used ones but thing is these were not good at lasting with all the pipe swaps that were done in their life/past life (under warranty as I had 4 crossover pipes replaced on my new TGP in the 4 years I owned it/under warranty) so don't like to offer a used one if they were to break again later :oops: , not so much during an install as much as the exhaust pulse pounding and vibration they get later on a running engine, they kind of like being left alone and will last then 8) . I am a few days rushing to finish up projects and work and such to be gone on vacation till August 5th, so if I can help it would have to be after I get back, from what I said above I would just check that the exhaust leak does not get to anything like a vacuum line, until you fix it which ever way that is. PM me and we can talk.

Jeff M

Guest TurboSedan

Sure glad to help 8) ....Jay :roll: details man :lol:

heh sorry, i thought you already knew that i guess.

YES, do follow up on the EGR Tube!!...not sure where it is leaking at but 2 owners I know had the exhaust leaking melt their vacuum lines, one the vacuum line to the MAP/FPR and it went blind :shock: which not only had his ECM blind of the boost (chip not fueling and timing as it should with boost) but the FPR also did not know of the boost so the fuel pressure was not raised, not good. Part number 12397882 and if a newer part number does not come up with that number at the dealer, then they are discontinued!...and since this was the case a few years back for me on some other parts I was getting for me and others, is why I spent 3 months and quite a few bucks to investigate, buy and set up a large inventory of TGP/TSTE parts. So my records show retail of $154 on these and 15 in stock here :) sell for $124. I have a few used ones but thing is these were not good at lasting with all the pipe swaps that were done in their life/past life (under warranty as I had 4 crossover pipes replaced on my new TGP in the 4 years I owned it/under warranty) so don't like to offer a used one if they were to break again later :oops: , not so much during an install as much as the exhaust pulse pounding and vibration they get later on a running engine, they kind of like being left alone and will last then 8) . I am a few days rushing to finish up projects and work and such to be gone on vacation till August 5th, so if I can help it would have to be after I get back, from what I said above I would just check that the exhaust leak does not get to anything like a vacuum line, until you fix it which ever way that is. PM me and we can talk.

Jeff M

i may be conntacting you soon about a new EGR pipe :) the leak is nowhere close to any vacuum lines. i can feel the exhaust gas shooting downward out of the metal heat shield that covers the pipe. i think there is a crack in the pipe on the upper part closer to the plenum. i won't be driving the car much at all until it is fixed, thankfully my GTS and SSE share daily driver duties right now.

Guest TurboSedan
I wish I still had my Lumina, I woulda liked to have a dyno day, and race...

hopefully we can have another dyno meet in Colorado again next year. that was alot of fun. i wish we had another one this year yet :(

Guest TurboSedan

did you get one from a regular 3.1? i know the EGR pipe goes to the crossover pipe on the TGP, but IIRC it goes to the rear exhaust manifold on regular 3.1s. i'll try to head to the salvage yard tomarrow and see if one of them would work. the last one i removed kinked really bad when i loosened it though. like Jeff said they sure don't seem to like being removed or installed.

Dave, i think you have the same chip i do - does your intercooler fan like to stay on nearly all the time?

I wish I still had my Lumina, I woulda liked to have a dyno day, and race...

hopefully we can have another dyno meet in Colorado again next year. that was alot of fun. i wish we had another one this year yet :(

You want another?

Don't be stupid, my 2.8 liters of distributed power will walk all over your 4-door grocery getter.

That does sound like fun though, I'm hoping to have it running by late next summer with the new motor, so maybe we can do one then!

A) I told him to gap them small, I actually suggest .040" I was getting some blow out at .040 so Sunshine is gapped at .035" That seemed to help, but this was when I was running 15-16 psi on occasion.

2) Josh, ditch the EGR, especially for some damn $124. 1 Weld and a few 1's and 0's swapped, and that's that.

III) I don't have anything else to say, but wanted to add roman numerals to my numbering system... How do you like it? :D

2) Josh, ditch the EGR, especially for some damn $124. 1 Weld and a few 1's and 0's swapped, and that's that.

III) I don't have anything else to say, but wanted to add roman numerals to my numbering system... How do you like it? :D

As for #2, I AGREE. I ditched my EGR like, really early, and without thought. I have no regrets.

As for #III, I like it!