'94+ rear brake upgrade problem!!!

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i had a rear tire blow out and had to put my donut spare on and guess what? it rubs the caliper! i was so pissed :( it doesn't rub badly enough to damage anything just mar the caliper pretty good and the car shook while driving and the donut would lock up pretty easy. i was 70 miles from home (middle of nowhere with no money = yay) and didn't really have a choice in the matter. so for those of you that have done the rear brake upgrade - i suggest a '94+ donut spare (if not a fullsize). later

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

i'm converting to '95+ front brakes soon too (more like early summer). so far i already have the strut/knuckle assemblies from a 49,000 mile Cutlass in my garage, but i still need new rotors, pads, new ball joints, and braided lines. i'd like to get the bigger booster too.

joshua

no way i'm driving 70 miles with a donut spare on the front of a FWD car....that will mess up the diffrential won't it?

joshua

No, not if it's the one that came with the car originally.

Why would GM supply a spare that would damage the differential? The differential can compensate for the difference in tire outside diameter, and it is just meant for temp use to get you to a garage. I have actually seen this also on the 99+ N body Gm cars, if the front brake pads are not installed correctly, the spare and sometimes the fullsize wheel will contact the caliper.

i dont think its bad for the car, but it my opinion its really unsafe. if i have one of those things on the front as soo as i get home or asap i will switch the back tire to the front and put the donut on the back. those things lockup so easy and i feel reall unconfortable taking any kinda turns with them. i almost rear ended one of my HS teachers cuz i had the friggin thing on the front and i had to stop real quick and all i did was slide right twards her on dry pavement :yikes:

One of the big car magazines (either Motor Trend, Road & Track, or Car & Driver) once had an article on those donut mini spares.

They concluded that those things can take a lot more abuse than most people think.

I gotta wonder though... if you have to change to the spare on the road, you aren't likely to have a jack stand with you, so it wouldn't have really been practical to move the front wheel to the rear and put the donut on the front.

I drove to school and back twice on my donut spare on the right front. ABout 160 miles total. It sucked, but yeah it held up fine. That's good info about the rear brakes! Cause Im still looking for brackets! As soon as I find a car w/ them I'll take it's spare :)