service engine soon light coming on

frusciante fan

So a couple weeks ago i was heading to pick something up at a friends house and on the way back as i pull into my drive i notice this light coming on. service engine soon. so naturally i said fuck, but the light disappeared later the next day. my parents told me not to worry as they've had vehicles do this before simply because they're "old." (we even have an F-250 that's been doing that for a couple years on and off and it's fine) that same weekend my water pump goes out. so when i bring it into the shop i tell the guy to take a look at the light. i picked up the car and he says he hooked up the computer to my it and said there were no errors.

yesterday i went to visit the friend about a half hour away and i noticed that the light came on yet again. all the gauges were normal and i've only got 200 miles on this oil change, everything looks as it's supposed to be and i can hear nothing strange. but the light goes on and off. not a flickering--but on for a mile, then off, on for 10 seconds, then off etc etc.

the light doesn't come on until you've driven for about 10 miles and when we had to stop for a sign and then accellerate it seemed to come off and then back on. speed didn't affect it. keep in mind i also drove approx. 115 miles last night with no problems. much thanks.

actually about the time it all started i had added a small exhaust tip the day before. but it's not restricting the airflow because the outlet it 3".

Bring a paper clip along with you and when the light comes on, pull over to the side of the road, turn the car off but the key on, and put the paper clip in the top two pins on the right side of your diagnostic port. This should show you the codes via the flashing SES light. Figure out what code it is (for example, a code 24 will flash twice, then pause, then flash 4 times). Then if you don't have a way to look up the codes, post the code it displays here and we will probably be able to help you solve the problem. Without knowing what the code is, we can't know whats causing the light to come on.

Shawn

code 12 flashes first (3 times over) as start codes (or system normal if thats all it flashes before it flashes 51) then the diagnostic trouble code(s) (each three times over) then it will flash 51 (3 times over again) this means "end codes"

most O2 sensors should be replaced every 50 to 75 K miles when they get old they switch at a lower speed and take longer for the engine to enter closed loop operation, almost every time i've replaced an O2 sensor the vehicle will get a 1-4 MPG increase as the engine (PCM/ECM) is able to lean and enrichen the mixture much faster. and I have seen plenty that will intermitently trigger the CEL /SES light

another of life's lessons.... :D

hope this helps....get us that code!

regards, James

i've got to go to my weekend job tomorrow and that's 20 miles away so i'm sure i'll get a chance then. where is this diagnostic port?

i've got to go to my weekend job tomorrow and that's 20 miles away so i'm sure i'll get a chance then. where is this diagnostic port?

It is under you dash on the drivers side. It is a rectangular plug. If you look under there you can't miss it.

Shawn

The cam sensor's purpose is to let the PCM (computer if you will) know when and how to fire the fuel injectors sequentially. The "sequential" part of "sequential fuel injection" means that each individual injector is fired right before their corresponding intake valve opens. When the cam sensor fails, the PCM reverts to "batch-fire" mode meaning that the injectors are fired 3 at a time (on each bank) and not in sequential order. So in other words, you aren't doing any harm by not replacing the sensor right away...

I have found that sometimes a new sensor will not fix this code, and barring any intermittent wire issues, I have found that the magnet on the cam gear has a lower magnetic field than when new (with magnets repeated heating of the material will significantly weaken it's magnetic field).

to fix two of the cars that have had this code required that I take the cover off and replace the magnet which in both cases was twice to three times as powerfull as the old magnet (the new magnet was able to pick up a small screwdriver where the old one was only able to hold a small screw....

replace the sensor and if the light/code never comes back then you've won but even after the sensor is replaced and you have the same problem suspect an intermittent wire connection or very possibly a weak trigger magnet

btw Al and I replaced the magnet on the rear 3800 when we had the cover off and it wasnt too much weaker than the new one...but it was a 3$ magnet so we threw it on with the new T chain....

james

15 minutes... 10 mm socket

and you might have to remove the serp belt if you cant see with your finger tips...

located right above the crank pulley in the T chain cover...

O ring sealed so lubricate the new one, should slip in goodandtight (like a german Virgin) :lol: