PICS!! New member story =) '99 Lumina LS

genEus

well, if you go junk yarding, you might look into a monte z34 front bumper cover. there are some montes that have the "stock" g-fx kits you could swipe. i have seen a lumina ls w/that exact kit on it, so it should fit. you can also swap the monte gauge cluster in, installing the tach parts if wanted. any w-body rim, 15" or 16" will bolt up(16" is 225/60R/16). junk yarding might be the cheaper way to go, unless you know people.

So, what, I just go to junk yards and ask them to rummage through their collection of Monte Carlo's??

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• genEus

• MonteCarloChick

• dsgrntld187

• DiscoStudd

I rummage throught the junkyard all the time. It's fun! :lol: I just say "I need some interior piece for my Grand Prix" or something.. and they let me in. Some yards are different though, where they have to pull it for you.

We have a bunch of yards here that they let you go right in and pull whatever you want. The yards are full of late-model Luminas!

One piece of advice: Be careful not to break your passenger side air vent (the one by the door) because they break on every single Lumina, and you'll never be able to find one in the boneyards...

He's just lucky he doesn't have a Grand Prix/Cutlass Supreme from that vintage, because on ours it's the HVAC knobs. I just found a good set of two I pocketed at the yard, and I'm so gentle with those things it's crazy...

We have a bunch of yards here that they let you go right in and pull whatever you want. The yards are full of late-model Luminas!

One piece of advice: Be careful not to break your passenger side air vent (the one by the door) because they break on every single Lumina, and you'll never be able to find one in the boneyards...

OK, will make sure not to touch :P

Umm I'm not sure, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone entering the junkyard except the staff that works there.. but I'll ask... the question is whether I'll know wtf I'm looking for ;)

That's what you have us for :D ...

Oooh. I can just see it! You guys can bid for the right to design my car. All proceeds from the bidding will got towards new wheels :D

OMG, I think I'm gonna be thrown out for that remark now :oops:

:lol:

Luminas are the official w-body we poke fun at!

PARTS CAR!! :lol:

ah yes, but if luminas are parts cars, then why does everybody pick parts out of grand prixs and cutlasses??? so the name Parts car doesnt really fit the lumina does it...... :lol:

Didnt you say you'd take a high milage honda (shutters) over a high mile domestic? :willynilly:

Yes you are going to fix it. After you fix what has stupidly been broken, fix accidents, fix things GM did to piss us off, its a pretty reliable car. For looks go with Z34/LTZ wheels, Z34/LTZ ground effects, tint, chrome muffler. Just- No dildo shifters, no 20+in wheels, no fartcannon muffler, no wing etc.

lumina= Americas parts vehicle :wink:

Didnt you say you'd take a high milage honda (shutters) over a high mile domestic? :willynilly:

For looks go with Z34/LTZ wheels, Z34/LTZ ground effects, tint, chrome muffler. Just- No dildo shifters, no 20+in wheels, no fartcannon muffler, no wing etc.

lumina= Americas parts vehicle :wink:

You mean, find a Z34 or an LTZ and just grab their stock wheels?

Do I need to make any modifications for them to fit?

What years Z34/LTZ? 95-01, or any since they began making them?

How much is a fair price to pay for the Z34/LTZ wheels?

Same questions about the Z34/LTZ ground effects - I've never seen an LTZ different from my LS? Are you referring to Razzi ground effects? They do look pretty cool, but cost $750. For that much money I can do a lot of things to my car, can't I? Or, can I get the ground effects cheaper somehow?

I'm really happy that people here are so patient and helpful. New guys need their hand to be held in the beginning. :oops:

Don't let them get to you about the price. I asked about a 95 Grand Prix SE that was in near mint shape but had 176k miles. It had a sticker price of $2000. Which was technically high.

They all said they'd never buy because the mileage was too high. I guarrentee if they owned that car, because it was a seriously sweet car, that they'd never sell it for a penny less. It went before I could consider offering, $1600/1700.

Mine has to have at least 230k by now. First dash cluster's odometer died.

Enjoy the car, you'll get many years of good service from it. I bought my 91 Regal with 86k on it 9 years ago and it has needed a new crankshaft sensor 3 years ago and a new computer just 2 months ago. As normal wear it has required a new alt, water pump, starter solenoid, turn signal switch, brake rotor/pads and struts.

:cheers: Congrats on the new (to you) car!

OK, I'll bite... how much should I have paid? Just be realistic....

Well, since you asked... you also said:

Yeah, the KBB value is $5500

KBB leans towards the very high side, no way I'd pay more than KBB. On my convertible, I paid $2000 less than KBB and it was still a little on the high side compared to what Edmunds said it was worth. I would say reasonable is $1000 less than KBB.

First of all, congrats on the car. From the pics it looks great.

2nd, you got a great deal on the car. $6500 for a car that only has 11,000 miles is excelent and if you take care of the car, it will easily last another 150,000 miles.

The only difference between the LTZ and the LS in body appearence is the wheels, the rear tailights and trunk (both are from the monte and can be easily replaced) and the front nose is from a Monte Z34. (oh and just for some trivia, the first year on the LTZ, the 3100 was the stock motor (i believe '97 or '98) and the 3800 was optional.)

There are lote of things that you can do to your car. again it all depends on the price you want to pay. Mymonte.com will help you alot on all the things to do.

As far as tint, check out the Tintshop on Jefferson Rd in Henrietta. I believe i paid $190 or something like that for my '97 Monte. So it should be about the same price. Oh, and if you do get tint, undo the rear window decklid (inside the car) so they can tint behind the 3rd break light. Those that tint around it looks ugly. if you have anymore questions let me know or PM me.

As far as tint, check out the Tintshop on Jefferson Rd in Henrietta. I believe i paid $190 or something like that for my '97 Monte. So it should be about the same price. Oh, and if you do get tint, undo the rear window decklid (inside the car) so they can tint behind the 3rd break light. Those that tint around it looks ugly. if you have anymore questions let me know or PM me.

I think there are a few on Jefferson Rd... which one are you talking about? And, is the quality good? Makes me want to puke when I see purple bubbly tint jobs, I want mine to last for at least a few years.

Also, you mean I should take off the 3rd break light so they can tint under it?

thanks

If you want good quality tint that will last, ALWAYS ask them if it's "metallized or dyed". If they say it's dyed or they seem unsure as to what you're talking about, RUN AWAY.

If you want good quality tint that will last, ALWAYS ask them if it's "metallized or dyed". If they say it's dyed or they seem unsure as to what you're talking about, RUN AWAY.

OK, thanks for the advice.

Question... Say, I find a Monte Carlo trunk lid w/spoiler, Z34 wheels and a few other upgrades I can just find at junk yards... Can I trade in the parts from my Lumina? Like, can I give them my wheels and my trunk lid in return for the ones I pick out from a different car, even if I have to pay additional $ or will I be stuck with my stock parts?

Question... Can I mount a spoiler onto a car that wasn't supposed to have one or is it too much hassle and/or looks bad?