Car shakes bad under acceleration from a stop

jeffline

wasnt sure where to put this, but as the topic say

I did several searches also

My Car shakes very bad under acceleration from a stop

The entire dash and front of the car shakes when i try to squeal/chirp the tires abit (have only successfuly gotten the car to do it twice since i bought it)

It is a 1995 Grand Prix 4dr se with 136,000

lmk if more info is needed

Also a braking Question: when I have to do a emergency stop, my engine cuts out, and usually have to restart it

The stalling could be a number of thing. EGR, crank sensor, something electrical, the list could go on.

But as for the shaking, drop the trans pan and check for shavings, or get a reputable shops opinion.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Wow, I was gonna say tires or something simple like an alignment is out or something, but if it shaking that badly...then something is hurtin real bad.....could the counter weights on the half shafts have anything to with it...or are they there just to counter torque steer???

- Jeff L.

Also a braking Question: when I have to do a emergency stop, my engine cuts out, and usually have to restart it

I would have said coilpacks too, if it wasn't for this.

I'm thinking tranny....

- Justin

I would have said coilpacks too, if it wasn't for this.

I'm thinking tranny....

- Justin

That could also be coilpacks. If they're starved enough, and you hit the brakes, the vacuum fluctuation could be enough to make the idle fall and the car stall.

And my tranny shifts great through all gears

wow thats cool :o

Anyways yea my car has had a little shudder when accelerating lately. I think my tranny is on the way out. It sticks in gears and is making a really wierd high pitch sounds sometimes on the freeway.

ok thanks to all,

but what are coilpacks :?: :oops:

What is a coil pack?

Thanks for asking. The coil pack replaces distributor caps on "new and improved" ignition system. Instead of having a rotor and distributor cap "distribute" the ignition spark to individual cylinders at the right time and order, the spark is controlled electronically though the electronic ignition system. The coil pack is where the actual electrical current (spark) is sent to each spark plug via the wires.

http://chris.quietlife.net/passat/coilpack.html (Yeah, that's for a Passat. Same basic concept though).

It could also be that the engine mounts are shot. When I first got my car, it shook like hell when I accelerated hard, esp. from a dead stop. Once I got the mounts replaced, it stopped right away. (yeah, I think my car had been a bit abused before...).

-edit- Although I can't imagine that causing the car to stop when the car has to stop. Unless it's shaking hard enough to screw somethign up, which I can't see that engine actually staying in it's mounts long enough for that to happen. It could also be the tranny. Even if it shifts perfectly, as you say, transmissions are complicated beasts that even small defects can get magnified into nightmarish problems that make even the most seasoned mechnic bash his head against the wall out of sheer frustration. If the mounts, coilpack, tires, etc. all check out, I'd suck it up and get the tranny checked out.

IT soulds like to me that the Torque converter is shot. Someting in it is causeing it to stick, causeing the stall when stopping, and the shudder during acceleration. I still stick with my original statement that the tranny is saying bye bye.

I also had that problem...(On a 1y/o transmission...)

It was 2.5+ qts low of ATF...

Try that... But that does sound like your trans is taking a crap on ya man...sorry