3.1+turbo

perfecseal

OK I just bought a 93 3.1 from a friend of mine.. His beretta was hit buy a city bus in the parking lot of the mall . Compleatly takeing out the pasenger side.. The motor has 75000 miles and is now on my stand in the shop.. I plan on making a hybrid 3400 top end and adding a turbo in the mix. I plan on droping this into my 91 cavy z24 .. I know Its not a W-body but its the same motor.. Now what I would like to know Is there a tgp 3.1 spacific rebuild kit ..or do I need to put it together part by part..Gaskets , pistons rings , posible cam ...ect ect

Whatever you do, I wouldn't bother going with a T-25.. especially not with the 3400 top end. Give it some real balls ;)

Ditto. The T25 + topend swap = WAY TOO SMALL of a turbo.

Shawn

YES, other than the other forum more to your baby, read at the top of this forum the differences between the NA 3.1 and the Turbo 3.1, good start there eh?? :lol:

Jeff M

If you want to go w/ the stock DP (not hard to fab one) and stock x-over (hard to fab a good one) I'd go w/ a GT28 series BB turbo. That way you could use one of Jeff's x-overs (nice peice, I have 2 of them) If you want a T3-T4 turbo then you will have to make your own x-over. When you do this (amongst other things) you are going to run out of programming quick. Make sure that's in your mind.

I am already a member at http://www.v6z24.com and http://www.60degreev6.com and http://www.domesticcrew.com/660/ plus about 12 others but I thought I would ask here frist because of the knowlage of the stock 3.1 turbo in our cars and the problomes to avoid..

Oh yah the cavy has a 282 5 speed stock so thats what I plan on keeping and just adding a good clutch and some drivetraine work..

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't go with a bigger turbo if I were you. The difference in size between a 3.4 and 3.1 is negligible and a smaller turbo will actually spool up quicker, thus reaching boost faster and avoiding turbo lag. There's also the plus that you don't need a custom manifold.

and a smaller turbo will actually spool up quicker, thus reaching boost faster and avoiding turbo lag. There's also the plus that you don't need a custom manifold.

I do not know if you own a TGP or a TSTE...but one of the problems with a T25 (smaller turbo) is that it maxes out at 3500-3850 RPM. These motors are capable of running up and around 5000RPM without much cause for alarm. Why would you stay with what everyone has proven to be "too" small of a turbo for a 3.1 liter let alone a better breathing 2nd or 3rd generation head setup? A T28 hybrid would be the smallest he would want to look at...but a GT28 dual BB would be a sweet setup with plenty of breathing room left over! :wink:

Yes a small turbo will spool faster that is a given, but if you do not have enough turbo then you are finished before the potential of the motor is reached.... 8)

I finally got to see a true dual BB turbo the other day...was for a Typhoon a local guy is building (forgot the specs on it...but made the T-25 on my car look rather puny!). I literally used my mouth to lightly blow on the turbine and it SPUN!! First time I had sex with a turbo and I LOVED IT!!! :lol: :lol:

Welll I am building a new age american hot rod not a rice burner.. So turbo lag is a given and thats ok.. a couple of extra seconds between when the light turns green and the guy next to me see's my tail lights is fine with me.. I have looked at the disco potato and would like to go a bit bigger..maybe some mods to that turbo.. I have looked and talked to garrett , hks, greddy, and turbonetics they all have great tech ppl that have send me piles of information .. but sorting threw it all has become time consuming.. owell thanks to all the people that have givin imput already..

Jim