new around here, suspension questions

Strecker25

Ive got a 1994 lumina with the 3.1 So far my only mods have been major stereo upgrades. and its added some weight to my trunk

i know of the ffp coilovers and thats what ill probably do, and i emailed them and they said this spring will come the front coilover set also. Do i wait for them and do it all at once? or what is the common method of lowering the front on these cars? i may do rear first just so i can adjust the rear and get it back to normal ride height anyways, just wanted to see what u guys think of the full kit (when availible) from ffp.

I don't know if the rear coilovers will be able to support the weight of the car and your stereo. If your rear end is down, which it probably is, I would just purchase a set of Suspension Technique front lowering springs from JCWhitney [get the front springs for the 95+ Lumina/Monte Carlo, the rears will not fit]. That should balance out the look of your car.

ok so the 95+ ones will fit the front, thats good cus i didnt know if they would. If i just want to raise it back to normal level do you think a new monoleaf would do this? Its still the original from 94.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/p-217496/mediaCode-ZX/appId-425184

i take it those are the ones.

yea its a daily driver, but i wanna stop the damn body roll as much as i can.

just to even things out i might go with the front springs from jcwhitney first, since theyre cheap. Anyone comment on the performance increase, and how much did it actually drop?

ST springs in the front. To get it back to stock height, either you can get some leaf spring helpers, or else it could just be the original leaf spring is old, and in need of a new one.

As for Hokem, he has been posting a lot of useless crap lately...

ST springs will even that out, no problem.

I think you'll see a 1.25-1.5" drop.

ST springs are rather firm, I think it'll reduce body roll a lot.

Another reason for the body roll is your wheels are only 14" or so.

That means a whole lot of tire. Increase to 16" (or bigger) with lower profile tires (i.e. 245/50R16) and that will decrease body roll even more.

Guest TurboSedan
Ive got a 1994 lumina with the 3.1 So far my only mods have been major stereo upgrades. and its added some weight to my trunk

i know of the ffp coilovers and thats what ill probably do, and i emailed them and they said this spring will come the front coilover set also. Do i wait for them and do it all at once? or what is the common method of lowering the front on these cars? i may do rear first just so i can adjust the rear and get it back to normal ride height anyways, just wanted to see what u guys think of the full kit (when availible) from ffp.

i would get either the Intrax or ST front springs (see group buy section). i have Eibach 1.5" drop front springs. they only dropped the front about 1.2" :? and i'm not even sure if Eibach front springs are still available for the W-bodies.

as for the rear, coilovers will do the job. i wouldn't worry about how much weight they can handle but they do have other problems :roll: i think both Jay and i are looking forward to getting rid of our coilovers :lol: i'd get a rear monoleaf from Birchmount (see group buy section). they can make it to lower the car to your specs. it's cheaper than coilovers ($155), retains factory rear suspension design so no stupid coilover problems.

yea i think ill go for the st fronts, where u guys get the intrax though i havent even looked at them?

i know about the wheels, had a chance to get 17" 5spoke for like 350 with 95% tires and missed out on it :evil:

this summer me and my buddy got a few plans, hes rebuilding his 944turbo and when thats done it might be time for 3.1 turbo :D

btw thanks for all the answers and comments, its cool to find a place like this...little info on the car: been in the family since new in 94, given to me like 1.5 years ago and only still has 85k on it, only rust is on passanger side and thatll be fixed this spring.

Guest TurboSedan

btw thanks for all the answers and comments, its cool to find a place like this...little info on the car: been in the family since new in 94, given to me like 1.5 years ago and only still has 85k on it, only rust is on passanger side and thatll be fixed this spring.

Intrax springs will lower the front a little more than the ST springs (look for the thread in the group buy section on this forum)

btw your Lumina sounds like a perfect candidate for a turbo :) ever thought about converting it to 5-speed?

btw your Lumina sounds like a perfect candidate for a turbo :) ever thought about converting it to 5-speed?

actually yes ive wanted to for some time, i would think it would handle the added torque of a turbo much better also. Any special place i can find more info on it?