PASSKEY Security(with Pic of chip)

Regal_GS_1989

w00t to my non-pass key system

seems like that system is nothing but trouble

Sorry to tell ya, but your car has the PASSkey system, unless you bypassed it. All GM vehicles(except j-bodys) newer than 95 have it. Just the newer one don't have a chip in the key.

:werd:

Sorry to tell ya, but your car has the PASSkey system, unless you bypassed it. All GM vehicles(except j-bodys) newer than 95 have it. Just the newer one don't have a chip in the key.

i was told that i would have a PK on the key if it was pass key

If it doesnt have a chip, how the hell does it work??

how can i tell?

how can i tell?

My moms Lexus has a chip in the key that is not visible.

how can i tell?

My moms Lexus has a chip in the key that is not visible.

Ya, but he said there was no chip....

my moms lexus had one too, built into the remote which in turn is built into the key

its confusing, because my moms new Malibu has no chip in her key, buts its labeled as a Passkey...shit my GP doesn't have the chip either and the manual states that there is a security system built in.

its confusing, because my moms new Malibu has no chip in her key, buts its labeled as a Passkey...shit my GP doesn't have the chip either and the manual states that there is a security system built in.

Its supposedly built into the head of the key.

Its supposedly built into the head of the key.

maybe your right. Anyways the invisible chip saves me like $8 every 6 months on my insurance :lol:

Just measure the resistance of the chip, go to Radio Shack and get some resistors that'll match the chip's resistance to make a "resistor pack", clip the wires to the VATS reader in the lock cylinder, and plug in the resistor pack.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17432

The newer GM's with the PASSKey system don't have a physical chip on the key. The system measures the resistance of the key itself.

Yea the newer passkey transponder is built into the plastic head of the key, My wifes 00 S10 remote start bypass module for the pass key2 cost $70 whereas the old pass key1 you just wired a resisitor in the circuit.

If you want remote start and dont want to buy the bypass module you can take the plastic shrouding off your steering column and set a key in there and it will always start, A sensor in the steering column must have to detect that key near the lock cylinder for starting.

She just had a problem with it 2 weeks ago where all it would do was crank and not fire up, I scanned it for codes and got a P1632-Theft deterrent System-Fuel Disable.

Hasnt happened again since but I will never allow someone to put a remote start system in again, I have seen so many problems caused from them and they make cars that are already hard to troubleshoot that much harder. And hacks putting in cheap remote starters just to get the car out the door and make a quick buck is sad, glad Detroit is making them available in cars from the factory :D

The pass key for my old ladies 00 S10 and the 02 2500 company truck only have a bowtie on them, bout 3/8" thick and plastic key head about the size of quarter.

The keys go in bothways like Ford keys always have, japs have used double cut keys for a long time too and now everyone does, but ford has had it since the 60's

Well, here is the pic. I don't know if it will help, but the key looks to be pretty good.

PASSkeyChip.jpg

Yea I have the same keys as you. They should have made these shits better. That would suck if you were very far from home and the key dicides to shit out on you.

That would suck if you were very far from home and the key dicides to shit out on you.
When I had my LeSabre, I was starting to have problems with the VATS intermittently. I cut the orange wire going from the lock cylinder to the module and spliced it back together using bullet connectors (I didn't want to completely disable it until it finally decided to shit out.) I also made a "resistor pack" to quickly plug in to the wires I cut under the dash (with the bullet connectors) in case the whole thing took a shit. I then left the resistor pack in the glovebox, waiting to be patched in in the event of VATS failure...

That would suck if you were very far from home and the key dicides to shit out on you.
When I had my LeSabre, I was starting to have problems with the VATS intermittently. I cut the orange wire going from the lock cylinder to the module and spliced it back together using bullet connectors (I didn't want to completely disable it until it finally decided to shit out.) I also made a "resistor pack" to quickly plug in to the wires I cut under the dash (with the bullet connectors) in case the whole thing took a shit. I then left the resistor pack in the glovebox, waiting to be patched in in the event of VATS failure...

:lol: good idea. I think im going to go to the dealer when I get my car back and pick up an extra key. Ill never know when the one im using will fail.