PASSKEY Security(with Pic of chip)

Regal_GS_1989

Okay, Over the past week, i've had to drive my moms 97 lumina because my regal broke a rear trailing arm. Anyways, i went to the j/y to get new trailing arm. When I went to start the car, I turned the key and... Nothing. I tried cleaning off the little chip a couple time and it still didn' work. So I had to use the command start to start the car. Put the key on, and was able to drive the car. A few minute after I had left, the security light came on. The next day, my mom had the same thing happen to her in the parking lot. Could this be a Proble with the secuity system itself, or a problem with the chip on the key?? FWIW, I had a bit of Rust Check on my fingers when i grabbed the keys. could have gotten any on the chip?? and would this keep the car from starting normally? I don't thik the key is worn out at all

Thanks in advance.

my mom's 02 alero sets the security light off sometimes...it has a remote start...if you put the key in and its not "JUST RIGHT" in the ignition, the security light will come on...but, it doesnt really matter cause the car still runs just fine :roll:

my mom's 02 alero sets the security light off sometimes...it has a remote start...if you put the key in and its not "JUST RIGHT" in the ignition, the security light will come on...but, it doesnt really matter cause the car still runs just fine :roll:

Had a similar problem with an Intrigue. Ended up having to replace the ignition cylinder.

usually on VATS or PASSKEY systems, once you turn the ingition to "START" but nothing happens, the security system will disable the system for a few mintes.. even if you cleaned the key off, it won't work immediatley after you just tried it.

thats a hard problem to diagnose since half of us will think its the key(chip) vs the other half thinking the ignition module is crapping out. I would definately use a different key for awhile and see if it helps. :shrug:

Umm, I wish that I could try another key, But we only have one ignition key for that car. But so far, if the key won't start the car, the command start will. But I am going to have to get a ke made.

Umm, I wish that I could try another key, But we only have one ignition key for that car. But so far, if the key won't start the car, the command start will. But I am going to have to get a ke made.

Yea I want another key made just in case this one i have now decides to shit out on me. Do you guys know how much it would cost? Ive heard to go to the dealer and it would be about 30-50 bucks?

Yea I want another key made just in case this one i have now decides to shit out on me. Do you guys know how much it would cost? Ive heard to go to the dealer and it would be about 30-50 bucks?

30-50 bucks might even be a bit lower than what you'll pay. I've heard of people paying $75 for a key at the dealer.

I just had new ignition keys made for my Regal and Grand Prix at the local Chevy dealer and paid $25 each. Last time I had a VATS key made there they charged $30...

Command Start is a remote starter brand. If the car has a remote starter in it, a VATS bypass was installed. With this installed, you are able to start the car with ANY cut key, it does not have to be the standard key with the chip. Getting a new key, I feel, will do you absolutely no good. Locate the bypass 'module' and start with that. Any car with the PassKey requires the bypass to be installed, so the remote starter module can take over and start the car without a physical key in the ignition.

Okay, I get it. I've never heard of that brand before. Personally, I know all about bypassing the VATS. When I heard "Command Start," I thought it was GM-Speak for a secret way of bypassing the VATS system and getting the car to start without hacking any wires apart. :lol:

30-50 bucks might even be a bit lower than what you'll pay. I've heard of people paying $75 for a key at the dealer.

Holy Sh*t! I had a Chevy/Buick dealer make me a set of keys for my Camaro back in '97 - VATS key was $12.50 & door key was .75 - have the VATS keys gone up that much?

Holy Sh*t! I had a Chevy/Buick dealer make me a set of keys for my Camaro back in '97 - VATS key was $12.50 & door key was .75 - have the VATS keys gone up that much?

no.....they are still less then $20...

no.....they are still less then $20...

:shock: ...DAMN...guess i shoulda drove up to MI to get mine...i paid $50 @ the local dealer to have a spare ignition key made for the cutlass :roll:

w00t to my non-pass key system

seems like that system is nothing but trouble

Sorry to tell ya, but your car has the PASSkey system, unless you bypassed it. All GM vehicles(except j-bodys) newer than 95 have it. Just the newer one don't have a chip in the key.