I finally made it to the track again **Updated w/ Video**

skalor

Ok, I was thinking that's what you meant by speed shifting. I'm used to it being called flat shifting, or power shifting. I plan on never speed shifting as I don't think the tranny could handle it.

I wish I could have gotten some logs of the 5 speed. I bet there would only be 2 maybe 3 records w/ a low throttle angle between shifts. Of course my cables were JUNK. For example, on my 15.23 run, (run #1) I missed my 2-3 shift (and launched in low psi mode, all through 2nd) let off about 100 ft. from the finish line (was watching the OTHER guys finish light, stupid ass) Still pulled a 15.23 I was geeked, then I broke da tranny. Whoops. :oops:

But hey, I bet I can shift as fast as Jeff's auto. :wink: :lol:

Well with the input I've read the last thing I want is a manual tranny. :cry: The auto may have more drag but at least it keeps pulling through the gears. :) Yea the manual is fun to drive around for a while.

Never have draged a manual car with out speed shifting, power shifting whatever. Apparantly it dosen't happen with our cars. I have alot of trouble believing it can't be done because the ricers aren't turning there times by not doing this. I have heard them at the strip and it doesn't sound like they let off when shifting. (no bov noise)Have no idea what type of linkage they use but I think I"ll find out.

Disturbing, I would think a manual would be worth about 2 10th's. Hum, back to the drawing board. :roll:

Jud

Well with the input I've read the last thing I want is a manual tranny. :cry: The auto may have more drag but at least it keeps pulling through the gears. :) Yea the manual is fun to drive around for a while.

Never have draged a manual car with out speed shifting, power shifting whatever. Apparantly it dosen't happen with our cars. I have alot of trouble believing it can't be done because the ricers aren't turning there times by not doing this. I have heard them at the strip and it doesn't sound like they let off when shifting. (no bov noise)Have no idea what type of linkage they use but I think I"ll find out.

Disturbing, I would think a manual would be worth about 2 10th's. Hum, back to the drawing board. :roll:

Jud

For a drag car I would rather have an automatic. Maybe not our automatic as they are really weak, but an automatic is going to be consistant everytime, its easier to launch (in my opinion), and if properly set up will shift fast enough to bark the tires, which is all you need because if the tires are spinning you are loosing time. Don't get me wrong, manuals are fun and all, but they really don't give that much advantage at the track like people think. We have pushrod engines with a flat power curve, we don't need more gears to keep the car in its powerband. The only reason we would gain anything with the 282/284 is the final drive gearing advantage, but with our power curve I don't think it helps much.

And with the 282 at least it is pretty difficult to "power shift." My Calais has a 282 in it and the thing barely goes into gear if you push down the clutch while letting off the gas...you leave your foot on the gas and the thing is gonna over rev WAY before you can get it in gear. Although I've only had the car a week so maybe I just need to play around with it some more. But you can shift it fast enough to bark the tires, which is really all you need I guess. :roll:

Shawn

Jud

We'll my 60 was only a 2.258 on that run, but my 14.6 auto run was with a 2.1 60'. I figure that if I can squeeze a 2.1 60' that I should at least be at a 14.5 or maybe even a 14.4. Also take into consideration that this was only my second time at the track and only have 8 runs on the car since the 5 speed swap. :)

Yeah, you guys keep telling yourselves you don't want manual trans TGP's :lol: Maybe one of these days you'll believe it. These 2 cars are night and day. Don't get me wrong. The auto is fast, but DAMN, the 5 speed (was) much faster. ANY given day, I'd have that car out w/ the auto sitting at home alone. And trust me, that means alot. That car is a peice of shit. THe interior looks like a Honduh owner got ahold of it. The body is in pretty crappy shape, and there are more suspension noises than you could dream up. Where as the auto is in almost perfect shape (less some body work) great interior, STEREO, moonroof, and handles like an F1 car (compared to the other options) :D , it's all about the gear control, and the BOV. (And the much faster boost control from the chip)

I have been looking at a trashed out 89 GP with a 282 in it for about a week now. Guess where the 5 speed would go?? :shock:

There was no comparison between the 4T60 and the 282 when I did the swap...much more power to the ground...100 less pounds in the car...less rotating mass on the crank...and less loss of distance between the shifts with the stock 4T60 tranny. You may have your foot in it all the time with an auto car, but when the stock 4T60 shifts it flattens out, unlocks, goes to next higher gear, then finally locks back in while slipping the entire time. Sorry but when I shift it is nothing more than a quick flip of the throttle and it is in the next gear pulling already. I would guess about 1/2 second between shifts counting like 1 mississippi (which is 1 second :wink: ) and considering the 1G BOV did not have time to vent fully between shifts. The 4T60 in stock configuration is made to not put all the power to the ground to save itself and the rest of the drivetrain.

Now Jeff may have a shift kit in his or some way to get instant power through shifts...but 90% of the TGP owners do not have it and I would line up my old 5-Speed TGP next to a comperably equipped auto TGP and I am very very very confident I would pull ahead real quick. But with no way to prove that I will shut-up till the TSTE has a 5-speed in it... :wink: 8)

Sniff, Sniff,.....but she was so pure.....I guess we all get surgery eventually

There is (was) a 5-speedGP @ A1 salvage.

hang on to the old tranny....may want it when I get back.

I thought that would get your attention!! :wink: We will see what happens with the auto-tranny...but with a 100% fluid flush and filter it still acts rather weird (slippy in first) when it is cold. Plus being one of a kind makes me smile anyway!! :twisted: 8)

Back on subject...MANUALS RULE AUTOS DROOL!! :leaving:

Well, I went back to the track yesterday but I didn't do any better. My first run was embarassing. :oops: I spun all the way through first, then ground going into second. :x I just gave up on that run and ran a 19.XX. :shock: After that I ran a 14.814 @ 96 with a 2.3 60' and a 14.824 @ 96 with a 2.3 60'. I launched at 2000 rpms on my last two runs and I rolled on the gas really slow. :roll:

On a side note, my brother's 3800 SII/4L60E '92 S-10 ran a 14.37 with a 1.97 60'!! :shock: We're planning on a turbo setup for his truck over the winter so 12's should be no problem next year.

The way I look at it is that I drive my TGP maybe every other weekend, and the rest of my cars are all auto('99 GTX, '90 Lumina w/LG5, '99 Grand Am GT<--wife's car). So, If I want an automatic car to drive I have plenty of them. The 5 speed just adds a little fun to driving it around. :P Plus, I drive my car more on the street than the track. :)

Give me until spring, so that I can start the real modding since all I have done is: getrag 284, DSM BOV, gutted cat, usual K&N, self modified turbine housing, and a self-modified chip. I plan on making a race gas chip so we'll see how that turns out. I think that I can run 14 psi with good timing on 100 octane unleaded gas. :twisted:

Give me until spring, so that I can start the real modding since all I have done is: getrag 284, DSM BOV, gutted cat, usual K&N, self modified turbine housing, and a self-modified chip. I plan on making a race gas chip so we'll see how that turns out. I think that I can run 14 psi with good timing on 100 octane unleaded gas. :twisted:

Probably will be about the time I do the 5-speed swap in the TSTE. Will be doing some serious work to the motor...lower compression, larger bore, larger turbo, better heads, better exhaust (from head to tail-pipes), 3bar map, and so on. Would love to be the fastest TSTE on the forums by early summer. TWalt is going to put a hit out on me once I get started I am sure...but she (the TSTE) will be fun to play with... 8)

3bar map

i take it someone out there is developing a 3-bar cal hmmmmm? :wink:

Difficult but not impossible. May even look into different engine management systems if it gets too crazy...but nothing will be happening for me until spring gets here and my company begins to show in the black. 8)