I finally made it to the track again **Updated w/ Video**

skalor

After my dyno results I was feeling depressed about my TGP. I hoped that the code 43 was what caused my low dyno numbers. Well, I think it was the problem as I ran a new best since the 5 speed swap. I managed a 14.643 @ 96.89 mph with a 2.258 60'. I'm actually still learning to launch this car consistently so I was messing around with my launch technique. This was only my second time to the track with getrag 284, so I think there's still a little room for improvement. I'll be scanning the slip tonight and I also have a video of the run. :twisted:

Mods include getrag 284, the usual K&N, DSM BOV, Jeff M X-over, modified chip, and poly dogbones. Otherwise everything else is stock, even down to the 128,000 mile cat. :P

Get that cat out of there and I bet the times would drop even more. Going from a 1 week old high flow cat to straight pipe in our TGP coupe brought it from a 15.04 to a 14.819 in nearly identical conditions.

Nice times though. 5 speeds are definately nice.

Shawn

My "butt dyno" would have guessed 14.5 / 14.6

That car is WICKED fun to drive :twisted: :shock:

IMO...getting that power to the ground & some sticky tires could add up to mid 14's also.

How'd your brother do? What about the Nissan??

Now damnit.. what's wrong with my car? lol

I can't pull anything lower than a 15.3 with it, but then again, It's only been to the track 3 times since I bought it.

How'd you launch the car?

My brother actually ran drag radials for the first time, and he managed a new best of a 14.50 @ 94 IIRC. The nissan didn't make it to the track, but his best is a 13.15 @ 106. I was really hoping he would make into the 12s the year, and on 7.5 psi no less. :twisted:

I would tach it to around 2000 rpms, and then slowly roll on the gas and let out the clutch. I varied my technique a little bit each time, but my first run was my best for the day. This was only my second time to the track with the 5 speed.

I can't pull anything lower than a 15.3 with it, but then again, It's only been to the track 3 times since I bought it.

Launching your car is easy! Run it up to 3000RPM while you heal-toe the brake and throttle (your heal on the brake...toe on the throttle) and with the clutch drawn just up till it starts to load the engine...light goes green and you draw the clutch to the top while at the same time you feather the throttle to the floor board. You will need learn not to burn the clutch but slip it to a point where you have no tire spin...but tons of pull. Then as much as your mind tells you too...DO NOT RUN IT TO REDLINE! The power band on that car is 3800-4200 RPM. Shift in there and let the torque of the turbo boost and the tranny work for you. The TGP has no breath up near redline and you are loosing ground if you shift above 4200RPM with the T25 turbo. Better turbo and better breathing exhaust and you can run it to redline and still have pull.

At the end of the race...pull the parachute and look for Aaron in your re-view mirror!! :wink: :lol:

Launching your car is easy! Run it up to 3000RPM while you heal-toe the brake and throttle (your heal on the brake...toe on the throttle) and with the clutch drawn just up till it starts to load the engine...light goes green and you draw the clutch to the top while at the same time you feather the throttle to the floor board. You will need learn not to burn the clutch but slip it to a point where you have no tire spin...but tons of pull. Then as much as your mind tells you too...DO NOT RUN IT TO REDLINE! The power band on that car is 3800-4200 RPM. Shift in there and let the torque of the turbo boost and the tranny work for you. The TGP has no breath up near redline and you are loosing ground if you shift above 4200RPM with the T25 turbo. Better turbo and better breathing exhaust and you can run it to redline and still have pull.

At the end of the race...pull the parachute and look for Aaron in your re-view mirror!! :wink: :lol:

This is great!!! More people hammering out the details, and nice attention to detail Kenny 8) . Glad to hear another explain avoiding red-line shifts, these are hard on any tranny and engine, and no benifit to performance, I agree!!!

Jeff M

I shift around 5300 rpms and I'm at the top of 4th by the end of the track. These getrags are closely geared, and if I were to shift sooner I would have to shift into 5th. I think my trap speeds speak for themselves as to whether or not my TGP pulls at least a little up top. :P

I don't know the difference between an 1989 GP SE Getrag 282 and the 284 you are using, but at Bandimere (5000' plus above sea-level) I would be at the top of 4th at about 4500 RPM crossing the finish line. My best and last of 3 runs that day I ran 15.308 at 91.63MPH with ambient temps around 80*F, a ton of moisture in the air, and no ice to put on the intake between races. 8)

I didn't ice down my intake either, but there was a long wait in the staging lanes between runs(around 40 mins). I just scanned my timeslip today and I should have that and the video up by tonight. 8)

You can see the gearing difference on brian89gp page: http://www.brian89gp.com/other/transmission.htm

Look at the 'overall gearing per gear' as it's a better indicator of the differences between the two.

Wow great run. :D Won't be long and everybody will be in the 13's. :D Neat movie to. Looks like it squats more hitting second than it does whan you launch. I'ed guess a relaxed shift? Never haveing driven a W-body manual I don't even know if you can speed shift or not. Will the cable linkage allow you to?

Keep it up. Seat time helps alot.

Jud

Wow great run. :D Won't be long and everybody will be in the 13's. :D Neat movie to. Looks like it squats more hitting second than it does whan you launch. I'ed guess a relaxed shift? Never haveing driven a W-body manual I don't even know if you can speed shift or not. Will the cable linkage allow you to?

Jud

I can speed shift mine, you can't even tell when I do it....wait I have any auto :lol: just ribbing ya guys 8) :D G-Tech runs and Timeslips are nice, but video rules, and so much more enjoyable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff M

awwww you're just jealous Jeff admit it :lol: j/k

sometimes i wish my car was still automatic. i'm getting a little sick of both cars having a manual transmission.

You got me, I am a closet manual shifter :leaving: I have always had this problem but never wanted to admit it openly :oops: I am a control freak and need to have my hand on my thing :naughty: no body knows how to shift me better than me :twisted: even that bitch the auto tranny :motz2: so I abuse her and I admit it now, I manual ram her gears in defiance of her not knowing when I like to be shifted :nono: rev me hard baby, I like it that way especially when we both finish at the same time :drool: …...ah I mean in an eighth mile run that is :lol: (I can't last for a quarter mile :bawl: ) .

Jeff M

Jud

I shift as fast as I can and I don't really know what you mean by speed shifting. My struts on my car are pretty beat as they have 128,000 miles on them. All my friends make fun of my car at the track because it squats so much. :P

I'm pretty happy with the time overall, and I might go back again this sunday to see if I can do any better. I haven't decided though if I want to race the TGP or run my '99 GTX. Right now, I'm leaning towards the TGP and I'm thinking of putting my turbo Lumina's exhaust on it since it has a gutted cat. :twisted:

Speed shifting. Basically you leave your foot on the floor and shift. No letting off the gas while shifting and just a touch of the clutch. It will definatly improve your ET's but is harder on the clutch/trans and if you miss, well you know what can happen. :roll:

Depends on what RPM coushion you leave. With rev limiters out now it can be made safe. :)

The reason I asked is I have been contemplating a manual but if these tranny's can't be speed shifted I wouldn't want one. The cable linkage scares me and I have never seen any aftermarket shifting linkage cable or otherwise.

You might try it at a safe RPM like 4k leaving lots of cushion. Don't be timid, you really have to yank. (not low RPM that's really hard on the clutch) 1 to 2 is the eaist because you have leg strength while pulling the shifter. 2 to 3 is the one to worry about because your pushing and really only have arm strength and you have to go through the gate and change levers. 3 to 4 about the same as 1 to 2 except the lever is a little further away.

If you have a stock steel flywheel and no rev limiter I wouldn't try this at high RPM. It generates a lot of heat like launching 3 more times depending on the RPM increase between shifts.

Yea if I was you I would be pretty happy with thoes times.

Have fun

Jud

Right now, I'm leaning towards the TGP and I'm thinking of putting my turbo Lumina's exhaust on it since it has a gutted cat. :twisted:

You should see a huge difference in throttle response when you correct your stock 100k plus cat you have now! When I put the high flow cat on the TGP the throttle response was night and day difference and it had 90-100k miles on it. 8)