Squeaking brakes...

wally05

Hey guys, cutty is doing great except for this problem. At low speeds and light braking, there seems to be a squeaking from the brakes. The front rotors seems to be wearing smooth and there is some brake dust on the wheels, but the rear brakes still have some light light surface rust (from sitting) on the rotors and it doesn't seem to be wearing off and no brake dust on the wheels. Is this normal? I've never really dealt with brake problems so I was just wondering.

Korey

Oh its normal... the rear calipers suck and are siezed from what it sounds like or are moving alittle and squeeking. Do you have a brake pulsation? Hows that 5speed Quad four run...any kills?

I would grease the pins for your calipers...my car does the same thing...it just dries out from sitting...Also, make sure you use your parking brake a lot (you probably do because its a 5-speed)

The quad 4 runs great, I have killed it a few times because I'm just not used to the clutch and the amount of pressure it takes on the accelerator to keep it going from a stop. What type of grease should I use for the pins and where are they located? Last time I worked on brakes was last year on my sunbird. Also, I have not used the parking brake due to being scared of it seizing. Should I use it? I just don't want to be in the middle of a parking lot at midnight and my brake seizes up.

Korey

if you don't want to use your parking brake, just put the car in gear when you park it. if your clutch is in good shape the engine will hold the car.

btw, your brake pedal WILL start pulsating. it's just a matter of time. once it starts, have fun getting rid of it.

haha, I know that, my last car was a stick. I was just wondering why I should use my parking brake a lot?

Korey

to keep it lubricuated and shit

if you don't use it it tends to freeze up

haha, I know that, my last car was a stick. I was just wondering why I should use my parking brake a lot?

Korey

well, using it all the time vs. not using it at all... which situations more likely to make it seize? move all the time vs. never move, corrode, etc..

Constantly using the emergency brake is supposed to keep it from siezing inside the cable.

The right rear caliper tends to bind since the cable is longer there. I think a smart idea would have been to at least provide some kind of lubrication nipple on the cable housing so that a fresh shot of lubricant can be applied.

Hey guys, just wanted to say that the parking brake works great, no probs, but still rear brakes not doing much, front ones are holding up, but I'm trying to use the least braking as possible until I can lube the rear pins. I hope that helps.... :(

Korey

Yeah, I thought that at first, but the rotors are not even getting rubs by the pads, so the calipers must be sticking. As of right now, I have no pedal shaking, so I'm rushing to get this fixed.

Korey