93CutlassSupreme

as all the current members of this site know, i've had quite a saga with my brakes.

anyways, i slaped on some reman front calipers, and changed all my rotors with Raybestos PG plus parts.

my brake pedal still pulsates. yes, i bled the new calipers properly

so far, i've replaced

-front calipers

-rear calipers

-all rotors numerous times

-all pads numerous times

any ideas why my brake pedal still massages my foot, even with an almost totally new braking system?

did it pulsate when you first put the new rotors and pads on?

possibly, the pedal was pretty soft, i couldn't feel much, so i re-bled it, and it hardened up.

it's still softer than it was with the old calipers though.

now there's a light pulsation in the pedal. the front end doesn't shake like it did before i changed the parts, but the pedal dances a little bit.

It's not the abs cycling abnormally is it?

Did you clean the hub to rotor contact surfaces. Rust between these 2 surfaces could cause lateral runout even on new rotors. anything over .002thousands of an inch lateral runout could cause a pulsation. Multiply that by 4 if you have 4 dirty hubs.

Wheel torque? 100ft pounds for steel wheels, and 140ft pounds for alum. wheels. Incorect or uneven wheel torque could warp rotors prematurely. Just some suggestions?

could be abs. some stops the pedal is very smooth, other stops it does pulsate.

i always take a wire wheel to the hubs, i clean them the best i can. michigan winters really tear up cars, they're rusted.

i torque my wheels in a criss-cross pattern, 100 lbs.

Maybe the cailper mount is bent slightly, just enough to allow it to drag.

hmmm.

i hope not, i'm not paying $75 GM list for them.

now that i think about it, abnormal abs cycling doesn't make sense, because the pedal always pulsates when i hit the brakes on the freeway. the faster i go, the more it pulsates.

sounds like lateral runout to me then. I have the same rust problem here. I had to knock out my wheel studs and use a mini grinder to clean the hubs. Worked on the front, I had to replace the rears for abs problems anyways, but it fixed the pulsation problem.

sounds like lateral runout to me then. I have the same rust problem here. I had to knock out my wheel studs and use a mini grinder to clean the hubs. Worked on the front, I had to replace the rears for abs problems anyways, but it fixed the pulsation problem.

fuck it then. i'm not going through all that. i've spend enough time and money trying to resolve this problem. if that is the problem, i'll just live with a vibrating pedal until i can dump this car.

How are your tires? They might be out of balance or worn down to the point where they're causing havoc on the suspension. If you've replaced everything pertaining to the brakes, then I'd focus on the wheels and tires next...

Its not that hard! Imagine fixing brakes for a living, GM requires us to actually use shim plates to get rotors below .002 LRO. Major pain in the ass.

i know that, i'm just distugsted with brakes on this car, and i'm not spending the money for new hubs. i can't believe GM actually engineered a braking system this poor, and used it for what, 5 years?

How are your tires? They might be out of balance or worn down to the point where they're causing havoc on the suspension. If you've replaced everything pertaining to the brakes, then I'd focus on the wheels and tires next...

my tires have less than 10,000 miles on them, and they're balanced.

some of my wheels are in piss-poor shape, but they balanced out on the tire balancing machine.