Robby1870

Did my sister's brakes today and had to buy one new front rotor b/c some how the pad had fallen out and worn the crap out of the rotor, leaving hardly any material on the rotor. No biggie though, new pads and rotors. However, the old rotor was the big 11 15/64" but her pads/calipers were for the smaller 10.5" rotor. Did they come from the factory this way, or did the previous owner maybe buy the wrong rotors?

On a side note, swapped the exhaust from my 92 onto the STE today!

Guest TurboSedan

i don't think there is any difference at all in the caliper or the pads; just the rotor and the strut/knuckle assembly which has the welded-on caliper bracket.

from what i've heard the '95 Monte could have come with either the small or the large rotors.

Yeah, that was just the fronts....she's got rear drums. Huh....didnt know they used the same size caliper for both size rotors. So, there's not a big advantage to going to bigger rotors, since the calipers are still the same.

Huh....didnt know they used the same size caliper for both size rotors. So, there's not a big advantage to going to bigger rotors, since the calipers are still the same.

this was the way Gnat explained it to me when I wondered the same thing halfway through the middle of my front upgrade.. makes sense

It's rotor diameter that affects braking distance, not pad size.

The pad size affects pad cooling.

Same pads and calipers with only the rotors larger will still decrease braking distance. This is because the circumference of the area where braking force is applied is increased, so even with the same pads, for each revolution the brake pad has swept across a larger area. In other words, for the larger brakes, the wheel has to rotate less for the pad to sweep the same area.

yeah, I understand how just a larger rotor helps braking, creating a larger moment about teh center of the rotor, but I just didnt know GM didnt go with a bigger caliper.

yeah, I understand how just a larger rotor helps braking, creating a larger moment about teh center of the rotor, but I just didnt know GM didnt go with a bigger caliper.

that would've made way too much sense.

fronts? all the calipers are the same ones, 10.5 and 11.25 rotors. they just changed the mounting bracket.
Mounting brackets are the same. I got another mounting bracket for my 96 Lumina off of a 92 Cutty and they were identical (the same part # was stamped on both brackets...)

fronts? all the calipers are the same ones, 10.5 and 11.25 rotors. they just changed the mounting bracket.
Mounting brackets are the same. I got another mounting bracket for my 96 Lumina off of a 92 Cutty and they were identical (the same part # was stamped on both brackets...)

The mounting bracket that changed is the one welded onto the knuckles, so to go to the bigger rotors, all you have to do is change the knuckle and rotors. Everything else transplants right over.

• 1 month later...

I have changed just the PLATES, and yes they are bigger, Bracket and caliper is THE SAME. I had to weld but it worked great, i didn't want to replace whole steering knuckles, so i did just the plates, pictures are coming soon.