So I put that Bar Leak's coolant stop leak in 3 mos ago...

fierofanatic

And now I'm starting to find a brown "sludgey" film inside my coolant tank and stuff. The car runs fine, no cooling problems, plus that leak that I could never find between the engine and firewall has stopped since that stuff was put in.... Will it cause problems, or should I have it flushed... I just don't wanna go through the hassle of replacing a headgasket if its blown, or replacing the heater core pipe or w/e if this stuff won't cause problems.....

It's not supposed to harm anything in your cooling system. In fact, the factory puts in something very similar to Bars when the car is being assembled. If you're worried about the appearance of your tank, then drain it, remove it, and clean it out. If you fill it with fresh coolant, it shouldn't get too "poisioned" by the stop leak. If you're flushing out the system, then you'll flush out the stop leak and you'll probably have to add some more anyways when you refill it...

I hate stop leak with a passion......what a band aid. You guys must never dependon your car. Fix what is wrong....you are just asking for a major failure when you need it the least down the road.

My gf's Sunfire has a bad headgasket or leak in the head itself (not sure) its not leaking very much.. think this stuff might work?
Nope, it won't work on a HG leak :( ...

Many years ago I had a HUGE leak pissing out the side of the block on my old Caprice Wagon. Well I didn't want to dump a bunch of money into the car considering I paid $400 for it, so I tried some stuff called "Block Seal" (I think it was "Gunk" brand.) You first drain the coolant completely and fill the system with straight water. Run the car for a minute and drain again. Next time, fill with water and the Block Seal and run it for 20 minutes. Drain and refill with coolant. The leak slowed considerably, but was still dribbling out. I added some stuff I saw at Mills Fleet Farm (it was in a rectangular yellow canister that looked kinda like a can of spices- cinnamon, pepper, whatever) that looked like an iron-ish powder. That stuff stopped the leak completely and it never leaked in the remaining 6 or so months I had the car. Just thought I'd share that.

So in conclusion, if you treasure your car, fix it the right way. If it's only a placeholder until you find a better car, than dump in stop-leak until your heart's content :D ...

The company I work for (CRC Industries) make 'Block Seal'. It is specifically formulated for head gaskets and other coolant leaks of that type. Unless it's a hose or water pump seal or massive freeze plug leak it will generally work just fine. It forms a PERMANENT cold weld on the leaking orifice if used according to directions. This is NOT one of those el cheapo add to A/F type products. I have personally used it on my radiator as well as leaky heater cores with great success.

No this is not a commercial, just trying to disperse some information.

One more important fact, 'Block Seal' does NOT like A/F. The system must be flushed out and loaded with water.