3.4 DOHC for $300!!

fleetwoodguy79

Well a buddy of mine at a local junkyard wreaked his 95 GP GTP :-) Sunday night sadly, and is selling off all the parts. I already got the side mirror from him (mine was in sad shape) and now he's wanting to sell the engine to me for $300! Got the 3100 in mine, thought about doing the 3800 SC swap, but decided against it. Could I get this DOHC and see a serious difference? Do I have to rewire everything like the 3800? The motor has 90k on it, is it still a POS motor? Would love your comments on it everyone thanks!

Personally, I think that the 3.4 DOHC is a POS motor (I know that there are a lot of people out there that like the motor, and I do not want this to become a flame thread. I am just stating MY PERSONAL OPINION HERE). One thing to consider if you do decide to buy this motor is that you will have to change out your subframe to use it. The motor mount is in a differant location, and you will need to get the frome from a car that had that motor (I think that the 3800 uses the same mount but I am not sure. If so, then you can use the frame from a car with that motor as well).

Taylor

I personally say to get a 3100 or a 3400, and build that up.

I've always been under the impression that changing the whole subframe , engine transmission and all is the least amount of bolt work and dismantling/assembly. Although you need to do strut towers and alinement. Also unbolt engine harness at firewall and ECM . Then maybe some wireing to get into the harness to the dashbord right.

Let me know if I'm wrong ?

Brian is correct. 88-90 are the only years that would need a subframe swap to accommodate the 3.4 DOHC. 91+ will have the proper mounting areas already. Some later-built 90's have the proper subframe as well, perhaps due to GM deciding to put the 3800 in the Regal.

Also, Taylor is right about the 3.4 DOHC using the same mounting areas as the 3800 Series I. 3800 Series II uses 2.8/3.1/3100 mounting locations, but the Series I uses the same mounts as the 3.4 DOHC.

Before buying it. Ask him when he changed the timing belt or plugs and wires. Because if you do buy it, change them before you drop it in. I would also recommend upgrading your alternator too. All three suck to change, I had to do them all within 3 months of each other. However just to let you know, the DOHC engine is known to be 100K engine. Don't get me wrong, not all of them act up but that's just what they say. My DOHC has 105,000 and I have no problems winning my races.

I love my DOHC even though its age is getting up there. I have changed all three of those things (plugs, timing belt and alt.) and the only bad thing about changeing them is the space you have to work with. If the motor is out of the car, which it would have to be at some point, all three of these things are simple jobs no harder then on any other car. the only problem i have run into was a bad alt. so I ended up doing that job twice. Other than that the 3.4 has been great to me.