Rear suspension question.

tloftus

Hey all, this is my first post. I'm pretty active over in the bstuff.net forums for my Beretta, however I've recently aquired a 1989 Cutlass Supreme. Here's the issue, the rear leaf spring is making a terrible noise when bouncing the rear of the car. It looks like there should be a bushing or rubber or something where the leaf spring meets the rear strut assembly, but there's not. Can anyone verify this and let me know what I might be able to find it under at the parts store? Not having luck with alldatadiy.com or partsamerica.com

Thanks!

Tom

Thanks guys, I tried the search but didn't have any luck. I did find a TSB on it after I posted. It has the GM part numbers (for future reference: 10432057 (Rubber Pads) & 10432060 (Adhesive)). I'll look into that. Any chance I'll be able to find these aftermarket at a parts store or do you have access to check the cost on these?

Tom

EDIT: TSB # 99-03-09-004

FYI -- in case someone else has this problem. The Moog part number for this part is K6544

Available from GM (OEM PN: 10432057) - $23.26 / per side.

Advance Auto (Aftermarket) - $22.99 / 2 sides.

O'Reilly Auto Parts (Aftermarket) - $15.99 / 2 sides.

I'm not sure what these aftermarket ones are, but judging by the picture they don't look rubber. I'll let you know when I go pick them up tonight after work.

These aren't exact replacements. The oem solution is a rubber "sleeve" that goes over the end of the leaf spring. The aftermarket (Moog) solution is a hardend plastic that sits under the leaf spring and allows it to spring freely without rubbing on the spindle metal. I really like the idea and they were pretty easy to install. Just C-clamp the spring to the strut mount until you have enough clearance, and slide the block underneath it. I took pictures if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll put them on my web site.

-Tom

Well, concidering there were no stock pads on there I wouldn't know. :) Compared to my other cutlass (93) they are a little quiter, but I don't know if I'd go out and change them for a noise factor. I'll get pictures up when I get home from work tonight.

EDIT: Also, there is 2 pads in a box. The info I got led me to believe that you needed a box a side, but you only need the one box of two pads.

Sounds good. Are they very thick?

Oh yeah, the OEM replacement pads aren't actually sleeves, they're identical to the original pads and glue on like the originals did.

They're fairly thick, probably 3/4" - 1" thick. They don't glue on, just sit under the spring and the tension from the spring holds them in place. I'm not sure what the OEM's look like -- like I said all that was there was a little piece of the rubber. There's no give to them at all they're solid -- just gives the spring a better surface to slide on than the metal of the spindle. I guess anyway. :) I'm no suspension expert, but I changed both of those back struts when all I needed was a set of $15 pieces of plastic. :) Oh well. Now I need to get that front engine cradle fixed. Those bastards at the dealership finally agreed to fix it but said they can't get it in until Aug. 2nd.

Mine wore out and all I did was carefully jack up the spring on each side and insert a thick sheet of rubber about 3" x 4" It did the trick and it has been 10 months now. The rubber I found had threads woven into it.

That would probably be okay too, however I like the hardend plastic (I hate to even call it plastic b/c it seems so durable) because that will allow the spring to slide w/o stretching the rubber. I dunno -- I'm sure either will work out okay.

-T

Honestly, I didn't check that at all. Just looking at it I don't notice anything, I'm sure the spring took the bulk of the height difference, but I couldn't tell you that for sure.

-T

Had the white blocks install a about a year ago, Mine were teflon, cant say if the moog are or not, did raise the back a little, I think it puts the leaf under some tension causing it to raise slightly. made the ride quieter and seem to smooth out a little. My mech. used a bottle jact to lift the leaf. make sure you get all the old rubber out if you use them. Took all of 4 min to install both.

I tried the bottle jack method first, but the spring had so much "spring" to it that it lifted the whole body of the car. I guess that factory leaf spring has some tension behind it. :) When using the C-clamp you compress it against another part of the frame as opposed to compressing it from below off the floor. I was really suprised how easy they were to install and how HUGE of a difference they made.

-T

• 5 months later...