bilevel/floor/defroster and so on

taylerade

hello there

i was gonna talk to the local dealership about a minor problem. but now i'm wanting to throw this by you guys.

first of all, i'm just dabbling in cars - i dont know half of what you guys do in cars. bear with me.

the controls where you direct air flow into the interior... Bilevel, Vent and Defroster and so on.... it doesnt seem to work. no matter which button is activated, air is always pushed out the front from the dashboard. for instance, if Bilevel is selected, i feel nothing coming out from the floor, as it should. the dashboard vents still is flowing just the same.

wonder if i can fix this by myself. whats wrong with it? maybe you dont think this is an important problem to address -- but i would like to have the capability to re-direct blowing air out of my face -- readjusting the vent direction doesnt do it if fan is set to High.

this is in my 92 gran sport. i should be getting those lowering front springs in matter of days -- and might be selling it this june. 53,000 miles.

To me sounds like the climate control unit is bad, yesterday i replaced my friends Climate colntrol unit because he had very similar problem with his, we replaced it and now it works fine. If thats what it is it shouldnt take more then 30 min to replace it with another one.

My old GP did that bullshit. but instead of it only coming out of the vents, mine only came out of the floor. no matter what i pushed everything came out the floor, even A/C. luckily 1)im not a pussy in the summer and dont rely on the A/C and 2)when its set on floor, a little always comes out the defroster so i wasnt fucked when it rained :)

Guest Anonymous

It could also be the little motor under the dash that opens and closes the "doors" to direct airflow. I just seen this problem over on the TGP board and that's what it was. His was just froze up. He moved it by hand and got it working again.

If you got a vacuum leak on one of the lines that controls the HVAC and cruise (pre 1994) then the air will flow exactly as how ismellrealbad described. the line runs from a vacuum tank under the drivers side front bumper, across the battery (the usual spot where it gets crushed). Also check the line that comes from the back of the plenum and runs across the firewall. But if it's just coming from the face, it could be, as others mentioned, the control unit or one of the actuators. I'd replace the control unit bc it's that much easier.