Almost ready to fire it up

R Dubya

I got a new TGP a week or two ago, 89 Red/Tan, beautiful shape. Needs minor paint work in some areas, but overall in great condition. I've reinstalled the PMIII, x-over, turbo, fuel lines, almost ready to start it, hopefully on Monday.

So my question is with the just under half tank of gas that has been sitting for for 3+ yrs. Should I drop the tank and have it cleaned? My estimate is that there is 4-7 gallons in the tank, so if I top off the tank with 93 octane and some fuel stabilzer would I be safe to run it?

Guest TurboSedan

:werd:

my friend bought a Turbo Shadow that had been sitting for a few years....we drained the tank before starting it and the gas looked like red wine!

Guest Anonymous

You could unhook the fuel line and use the fuel pump test lead to pump the gas out but that won't get all the gunk. And it would probably fill the pump with gunk and clog the fuel filter.

A rad. shop should be able to do clean it. You can buy stuff to clean it at home.

Check the tank for any rust while it's out also. May need to get the inside sealed.

Yeah I called a shop in town here and they quoted me $77 for a new tank. I was thinking I might just get it cleaned and re-install it. It only has 38K on in it and it's a California car so I don't think rust will be an issue, I'm just worried that the fuel may harm the engine if I run it.

Bam. I dropped that tank today and I'm going to take it and have it serviced tomorrow, so needless to say I can't start the car yet, but I don't have it all the way back together yet. I was crawling around underneath it(obviously) and I was thinking to myself, "Damn, this thing is clean." Really. I thought that in my head. :shock:

Not a spot of rust on the entire car. Not just the body. The whole car. I hope it runs without having me dump my next 2 paychecks in it.

So the tank was as clean as it could be on the inside, but the gas smelled more like turpentine than gas. I got myself a new pump screen and it's ready to be installed. Now all I have to do is put that in and bleed the brakes and I can drive it. I can't wait. Thanks for the input. I'm sure I'm better off now.