Wont Idle (UPDATED)

gp90se

arg....

As most of you know, I did my fuel pump last weekend, went as smooth as expected. Now I cant get the car to idle at all. Turn the key, it cranks over but wont start. I press lightly on the gas and turn the key, vroom. purrs like a small block, but at just under 1000 rpms, it stumbles a little and if i let off the gas, it shuts off. I swapped the TPS sensor (lost my 5th f'n e-clip). Theres no cruze control and I dont have the hose from the fuel tank attached, but neither of them should keep the car from idling.

any ideas??

-Jeff

yea i dont like to listen when it comes 2 me having to blow more $$$ :lol:

before I go and rip apart the fuel rails to replace the regulator, what pressure should be at the valve and other then sucking on the regulator (which has no fuel commin out of it), any other way 2 check it.

-Jeff

I think the book says 38-42 psi. is good at the rail. If there is no fuel in the line (rubber vac. hose) I don't know how else to test it. Could be a stuck injector. But I've never heard of a bad injector on a TGP before. :lol: :roll:

gp90se said

I dont have the hose from the fuel tank attached, but neither of them should keep the car from idling.

What hose are you talking about. Don't tell me it's the fuel return line. :roll:

Do you have the vac line for the CC pluged?

Aftermarket FPR P/N are the same.

Jud

Is the FPR in a TGP the same as a non turbo 3.1?

-Jeff

Yes they are the same but still use this number "IF" you need to replace it: AC Delco 217-383 or GM 17112481 about $100. BUT, its so easy to check these by sucking on them I don't know why you are afraid to suck (and at least let us know how it tasted :lol: ). Pressure will be something to indicate more so how well your pump is working, not as easy to use for testing the FPR as sucking on the hose, there is only a spring and diaphragm in there and its the diaphragm that fails/deteriorates which will leak gas into the vacuum line, so suck damn it :lol: Hurry up, I want to hear some successes from you soon, maybe a kill or two 8) !!

Jeff M

LOL alright alright, ill grab a hose 2morrow and suck.....but no Jeff, im going 2 dissapoint ya, i aint tastin it if i can try. and if it does shoot, im SPITTING :lol:

-Jeff

you've dropped the tank on a w-body before, right? the car is sitting in DIRT, and id rather not tractor pull it back out again.

-Jeff

Yea that would suck :lol: I think he just needs to hear you don't have the canister purge line unplugged, though it only sucks on it when the ECM says to (engine fondled and warmed up some, maybe even HOT!).

This thread is really starting to suck :lol: .

Jeff M

making sure not 2 get this page locked, ill ask a serious question. Should i have the ignition on and the fuel pump primed before I suck on the FPR? should i attempt 2 start it first, and is the FPR rebuildable cauz i dont really have $100 right now lol.

So Jeff M., how much hose have u sucked?

-Jeff

Guest TurboSedan
making sure not 2 get this page locked, ill ask a serious question. Should i have the ignition on and the fuel pump primed before I suck on the FPR? should i attempt 2 start it first, and is the FPR rebuildable cauz i dont really have $100 right now lol.

-Jeff

what is your 'key on engine off' pressure? do it like 3 times in a row...does the pressure bleed down?

fuel pressure when it's running?

i went to NAPA today with my brother and pieced together a fuel pressure gauge that screws right into the fuel rail for less than $15....i thought the fuel pump was bad on my GTS but FP was good....and after 3 hrs of troubleshooting and swapping in LOTS of known good parts (TPS, coil, rotor, spark plug and coil wires, cap, HEP, checked cam timing, dist timing, fuel pressure, checked for good spark, nothing clogging the air box, blah blah...) it turned out to be the MAP sensor & solenoid....with NO trouble code! :verymad: be patient and you'll find it. good luck.

As pathetic as it is for me 2 say this, im still out of any real work, so parts are hard 2 afford right now. I will be gettin a fuel gauge eventually.

I was asking when 2 suck ont he hose, after there is fuel pressure or before.

-Jeff

-Jeff

Just suck would you!! :lol: It don't matter what, if the FPR vacuum port does not hold a vacuum, its a bad FPR! No matter if the funds are there right now or not, good to know and not have it to worry about (finding the problem). You don't need no stinking fuel gauge for this (good for testing fuel pump pressure though, but you got a new fuel pump!), save the money if its needed once you just test the vacuum port on your FPR.

As for my relationship with hoses....guess you will never know :twisted: But I am married if anyone else is getting any stupid ideas :fruity:

Jeff M

As for my relationship with hoses....guess you will never know :twisted: But I am married if anyone else is getting any stupid ideas :fruity:

Well that asnwers that....just as long as you didn't get married in Massachusetts.... :P :wink:

Well that asnwers that....just as long as you didn't get married in Massachusetts.... :P :wink:

:lol: Good one, forgot that happened, guess I need to be clearer next time 8) Really like your art work, nice pic with your name!!

Jeff M

8) Really like your art work, nice pic with your name!!

*bows* Thanks. Got a little giddy with the digital camera a week ago. There's a bunch more I need to make when I get some time in photoshop. Really like the hp ratings with your name!! :wink:

Okey, i sucked :shock: but got no fuel :? I could taste the fumes, but no fuel came out, hit the shradder valve and had fuel.

so could the regulator be clogged or failing anyways?

o btw, i have no washer fluid bottle grrrr (went 2 get the hose from it, low and behold, not 2 be found)

-Jeff