Possible Engine Upgrades

Black90Euro

Ok , my fine running but little weak 3.1 needs more power.. engine swap too much and can't do it anyway. So here's what I may do I need your input for REAL world improvements you experienced.

I have a cold air intake.. that's it so far in the motor.

#1 RSM 62 mm throttle body ? says 10+ HP ... true or false

#2 FFP underdrive pulley? will it damage the alt. or other acc. ... true or false

#3 What spark plugs & wires are good

#4 Do they make a hot coil pack or is that a waste of $

#5 Headers do they make em' and who does?

#6 Muffler replacement DynoMax or Flowmaster (single) w/duel tips

would love the Supercharger RSM has but $4700 :shock: is way too much for me.

Let me know what you think so I can make best use of limited funds.

Thanks , Mark

Ok , my fine running but little weak 3.1 needs more power.. engine swap too much and can't do it anyway. So here's what I may do I need your input for REAL world improvements you experienced.

I have a cold air intake.. that's it so far in the motor.

#2 FFP underdrive pulley? will it damage the alt. or other acc. ... true or false

Thanks , Mark

You know you could swap in a 3400 for LESS (a LOT) than the cost of all the above mentioned stuff right? That'd give you ~40hp and 20 lb/ft right there............

As for the other stuff...........

False. It's marketting hype. You'll likely see around 1-2hp from getting the RSM 59mm TB (stock is 52mm).............not noticeable except for a slight extra whistle added to the intake noise at part throttle.

It isn't going to damage anything. In fact, FFP has measured a very negligible effect on alt. output with the UDP...............I really don't think you'll have any problems unless you have a really big stereo.

AC Delco for both (some people like NGK plugs too............but Bosch plugs are hype..........and any aftermarket ignition wires won't help).

Waste of cash. The stock GM DIS ignition is MORE than strong enough for ANY NA power..............not to mention many of the aftermarket coil packs SUCK (Accel for one).

Nope............all custom............fun huh?

Just swapping the muffler is going to be of almsot no value (outside of sound) by itself.................a full exhaust howver, can be worth 5-7hp. What you want is mandrel bent piping (2.5in diameter, manifold back), and a pair of straight-through mufflers (Dynomax Ultraflow, Borla, Magnaflow etc).............NOT a chamabered muff like Flowmaster (straight-throughs flow a lot better and make more power).

Yep it is..............you could do your own custom turbo setup for 1/2-2/3 of that cost and make more power.

Thanks , Mark

Told you.............swap in a 3400, and re-wire it for MFI (then drop in an FFP custom chip............they now have some 3400/MFI experience).

wow that was fast ... I wasn't going to get all the parts just wondered what was worth or not worth getting. So I'm basically stuck unless I do a swap :? . So I guess I'll go for show more than go.

Got new slotted/crossdrilled rotors couple months ago all four and it handles Great! look pretty good , I think

thanks , again

The best mod you can do to your 3.1 is get a top end from gen III 3x00 engine. I'd still hold off and do a 3400/3800(s/c?) swap.

As far as headers, there ARE some available from http://jbodyperformance.com that are WAAAYY expensive (like $1700 CAD). Screw that.. I could do an L67 swap AND buy a set of headers for that engine!

wow that was fast ... I wasn't going to get all the parts just wondered what was worth or not worth getting. So I'm basically stuck unless I do a swap :? . So I guess I'll go for show more than go.

Got new slotted/crossdrilled rotors couple months ago all four and it handles Great! look pretty good , I think

thanks , again

Oh no...........you AREN'T stuck or anything....not by any means.

I'd still get the FFP UDP (it fits on a 3400 if/when you do the swap at a later date....same exact pulley for both), and also make sure you do your exhaust PROPERLY (then to adapt to a 3400 all you need is to change the top of your downpipe)..............

Also, get the FFP chip..........you'll have to get another one when you swap engines, but it's cheap enough ($149 IIRC) that it's an easy choice to make.

That combo right there (your intake [no idea how good of a setup you have], chip, UDP and a PROPER exhaust can still put you an easy 12-15+whp over stock............and since about half of it will transfer over to a 3400, you have a good start for yourself.

And don't bother with a top end swap.............hybridising your engine is HARDER than swapping engines, and will net you less of a power gain.

thanks , again

IMHO, Show is better than Go anyway....

IMHO, Show is better than Go anyway....

Why?

You like to LOOK fast without anything to back it up?

Sorry...........doesn't compute :P

I'd rather be fast and look like shit...........but that's just me.

Of course ideally, you have both :D

NOT a chamabered muff like Flowmaster (straight-throughs flow a lot better and make more power).

show a dyno test if you're going to make performance claims

NOT a chamabered muff like Flowmaster (straight-throughs flow a lot better and make more power).

Your just chapped because hes raggin on your precious flows :lol:

J/K man i know they sound good

Depending on your abilitys, a hybrid might be less time consuming than an engine swap, ive never done either so i cant say much just hard to believe.

You can get a cam for your motor too, get some P&P work done, UDP, Chip, exhaust, fucking A slap a turbo on that beast.

Your just chapped because hes raggin on your precious flows :lol:

J/K man i know they sound good

you're right. when i was shopping around for an exhaust, i knew it wasn't going to make my car a fucking speed demon, so i really didn't give a rats ass about what muffler flows better. i liked the sound of flows so i bought them. anyways,

i've never seen a FAIR test that PROVED that straight-throughs make more power.